Skip to main content

Dinner Without Whine... could it happen?

Ok… While in the grand scheme of things I have nothing to whine about–I’m healthy enough, I have a job I like (voice lessons and mom… ok I like that most days), have a great husband and kids, a nice home– but today has been a long day and I’m gonna whine.

WHY is it I ate 5 cookies—ARG!!! Now I gotta walk to California.

WHY is it that you can eat lettuce and veggies for more than a week and not lose one pound, but eat one freakin’ cookie and it will require ten hours of treadmill time to remove it from your butt? Who made up stinkin’ that rule?

And WHY is it that every time I’m ready to go somewhere I cannot find one or more of the following–my purse, my sunglasses, the car keys?

Calgon, take me away! Wait… I don’t have any Calgon. Just WHY is that?

And WHY must we have FOUR remotes for ONE tv?? And WHY can I never find the one I need–but the other three are right there, laughing at me (I know they are)… even if they don’t have batteries.

Who decided that French fries and chicken wings would be fattening and artery clogging and Lima beans wouldn’t be? Who decided that a serving size of potato chips is 3 chips? Have you ever eaten just THREE potato chips?? I can’t! ARG!

And please tell me who decided that the seats in theaters should only be wide enough to hold the butts of 7 year olds–that person needs to have their rumps squeezed in a vise.

Why are the misogynistic, violent lyrics of some songs lauded as art? And WHY does my son like to listen to that crap? When did it become cool for young, underage girls like Taylor Momsen and Miley Cyrus to parade onstage wearing next to nothing? Who makes up the rules that say those things are okay?

And WHY is that my kids whine about doing the chores, or about how unfair it is that one got something and the other didn’t, or that they have to do more than the others? The truth is none of them really have to do that much. Today was no exception. Everyone complained about everything I asked them to do. At least one daughter did the dishes here.

And WHY is that I worked all day… I adjusted 3 people… carted my son around… worked on my Stake Seminary assignment… taught 6 voice lessons and I made a nice dinner to boot! WHY do they all complain that they don’t like what I made and get up and make something else? On top of that, WHY do they never clean up after themselves?

WHY is that I saved my money so that my son could have the birthday party at Oaks Amusement Park that he wanted and it was expensive so I didn’t get him lots of cool presents… but he complains that he liked the party but his presents weren’t that impressive?

WHY do kids whine?

I guess whining is something that we all do, but the question is WHY? When you whine nothing really happens other than you sounding like a baby. And if you sound like a baby then you are probably going to be treated like one. But seriously, WHY do people whine?

Enough whining already!

When I whine my problems don’t get solved because I’ve spending all my time whining instead of fixing. So now what?

Think positive! Count blessings!

Today I got a short bike ride in… impressive since I didn’t remember until 8:30… my dishes are mostly done… I got a new student… my foot isn’t aching as badly this evening as it did last night… my husband got the cost of living raise we desperately needed… my son is 15 today and I haven’t killed him for his bad attitude (just kidding… he’s a great kid and I love him tons!)… I got lots of good work for seminary done today… my garden is growing well… I ate oatmeal for breakfast; mixed nuts and Reese’s pieces (oops I caved again) for a snack; pepper salami and carrots for lunch; 5 wheat free cookie my daughter made for a snack (at least them were yummy); and a new recipe of Creole Black Beans and rice for dinner… yummy!... I stayed within me calorie goal… I studied some scriptures…I got 3 loads of laundry washed waiting to be folded in the morning… I watered my flower garden… I’m about to go to bed and my house is mostly clean. Not a stellar day, but respectable none the less.

Ok… a little whine with some cheesy goodness makes everything better.

Comments

  1. Add to the positive list that you used a really BIG and little used word...misogynistic...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy that was positively AWESOME!You are the next Erma Bombeck. You need to publish-girlfriend. Thanks for sharing. I hope to tune again soon. Jules

    PS. You are an inspiration to all of us women who sometimes think things are less rosy. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need a comforting hug. . . . Or I think you earned a congratulatory hug. I can't decide which, but you're getting a hug either way!

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHA Wendy you are too halarious and amazing! "Have you ever eaten 3 potatoe chips!? I CAN'T" sooo true, its impossible.

    I love you very much and thanks for writing! It really made my morning :). Oh, and you SHOULD be published. Fantastic writing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The answer to why? Just because.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …