Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Forward Thinking

God is a forward thinking and acting God.


I want to be a forward thinking woman.

I’ve been pondering this idea and luckily I found Jeremiah 7:23-24:

“But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people. And walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.’ But they hearkened not, nor incline their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward.”

Even though God led the Israelites out of Egypt, a place of oppression, wickedness, and idolatry, to a place of safety and refuge, in their hearts they never left. Their bodies might have been free in the Promised Land but their hearts and minds were still in bondage back in Egypt.

It occurs to me that we too often allow fear, emotional pain, and habitual sins to keep us chained to the past. All too often we forget that God has a plan. He sent Jesus to be a Savior, to set us free from all holds us back… even our own flaws, so we can move forward in Christ.

I believe we all want to progress forward, but we are not will to move forward without baggage. We want “new”, but still want to hang on to the old! But that just does not work: To experience change, we must change.

I see myself huddled in a dark corner, cold, scared, and lonely. I see God bathed in light and warmth just beside me. I sense Him calling me, inviting me to come to him and give him the emotional burdens that were literally are eat me alive. And yet, voices were whispering to me that it was safer in the darkness.

Imagine that: I actually feet safe in my misery sometimes!

What a blessing that God’s love is so strong that it compels me to turn around and look at him. When I look, I see beauty, gentleness, and strength. I can trust Him. Now all I really need to do is take His hand.

In order to receive real comfort and move forward, I need to let the false comforts go. Simple as that. Boy! Does it take courage! Yes, it is scary and yes, it is hard. But I just need to say to myself that I am willing to go to the other side of hard.

All it takes is a commitment to forward motion, step by step, day by day. And I will get there!

Losing weight is not just about dieting or exercising as proven by the countless number of failed diets and exercise programs. First, I need to identify and let go of the many Mental, Emotional, Subconscious, and Spiritual blocks that prevent me from succeeding. These limiting beliefs, thoughts, and fears prevent progress.

Trust… Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding… In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy path. Proverbs 3:5-6.

1 comment:

  1. I love this section - mind if I use it?:

    In order to receive real comfort and move forward, I need to let the false comforts go. Simple as that. Boy! Does it take courage! Yes, it is scary and yes, it is hard. But I just need to say to myself that I am willing to go to the other side of hard.

    All it takes is a commitment to forward motion, step by step, day by day. And I will get there!

    ReplyDelete