Saturday, January 22, 2011

Adventures in Raising the Roof - Practicing Simplicity Day 3

I find that I'm the kind of person who is a bit nostalgic for certain aspects of the olden days.

I like the fact that people cooked more meals at home (so much more healthy), baked things from scratch (I miss homemade baked bread), made quilts out of their clothing remnants, grew their own vegetables (one reason I have a garden), raised chickens (good grief. .. I’ve got chickens in the backyard)...

(Either I’m “old” or I’m living the life of a “modern pioneer”. I do all those things. LOL).

I especially like the idea of a "bee." When individuals or families had a big task to undertake (like clearing their fields, building a barn, harvesting, etc.), they would ask their neighbors and friends to come over for a big work party. Everyone would pitch in and work and socialize alongside each other. Afterward, they would often throw big feasts to thank their neighbors and friends for their help.



Today I spent the day working on the set for Much Ado About Nothing at Central High School. I designed the set and need to begin the light focus soon. There was many tasks that needed to be completed today. I love that I can get back into the creative side of me that I’ve neglected for so long.



Preparations for the show resemble an old-fashioned quilting bee or community barn raising. Everyone remotely connected to the show pitches in and helps out with whatever needs to be done… construction, paint, set dressing, props…


Today my hubby and 13 year old joined me on set, as well as a handful of cast, the director of the show and producer. Today’s task? RAISE the ROOF. It became a “family” adventure in an old fashion “barn raising”.


The thought of “family” includes the community when it come to theater, especially educational theater. On the set we have brought together people from all walks of life that may not have come together otherwise. It’s friend helping friend; neighbor helping neighbor. The ideal American traits of friendliness and generosity were exemplified in a barn-raising. Barn-raising wasn’t something that one family alone completed, with the neighbors standing around watching; the whole community took part, helped, and celebrated. Working on the show reminds me a barn raising.


Today I am grateful we approached building the set with this kind of communal and interconnected mentality: a coming together to pull off something really big. All we need now is a celebration of our collective good work.

The end result is a truly impressive looking set. I have to admit…. It doesn’t look much like a HS production.

I didn’t get to write anything about my day yesterday. I went to the HS in the morning to set up sound for Senator Wyden’s Town Hall visit. Then I got out of town. I went to the beach. I went to visit my friend who is gracious enough to plan all the wedding party stuff. I have to say that I believe the wedding will be fabulous! In a small way, it’s like producing a production too! So much drama in my life. LOL!

I did get a walk to the beach yesterday for exercise. I’ve decided to count climbing ladders and walking up stairs today as exercise. Mind you… I don’t like ladders. However, today, I climbed a ladder 18 feet off the stage floor to touch up paint and to rig the “raising of the roof.” Let me tell you… THAT is dedication. I don’t get on a ladder for anything.

Yesterday I eat a SIMPLE salad for dinner. Today, the director thoughtfully got me a salad for lunch and a new salad dressing for me to enjoy. I loved it! A Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. Highly recommended.

Salad – Day 5
Practice of Simplicity – Day 2 Simple drive to the beach and a visit with friends.



Salad – Day 6
Practice of Simplicity – Day 3 A simple day doing what I love… creating a stage master piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment