Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Keeping it Simple


I’ve been struggling of late to simplify my life — a rather difficult task I might add. There is simply too much of everything, too many distractions, and I need peace. The problem of simplification is a common struggle among my friends and family.


“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.“ ~ Confucius

Nothing could be more true. I am confident that I am the main distraction I must battle complications in my life.

Good thing my friend Jo is moving “home” to be my “bouncer”. LOL.

Today I read the conference talk by Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf entitled Of Things That Matter Most. It reminded me how simple life used to be.

With modern conveniences and downright addiction to constant forward progress the idea of living a “simple life” has nearly become nothing but a novelty … or so it would seem.

Living a simple life is simply living.

Simple living is filled with smiles and laughs, not complicated and jam-packed schedules. Eating simple means less processed foods. Drinking simple means more water with lemon and less soda. Cleaning simple means making my own products from vinegar, baking soda, and borax. Living simple means cutting out the fat (needless commitments and doing what a social group insists on) and making time to enjoy basic pleasures (reading, gardening, cooking, swimming, walking, chatting … etc.). What simple living is not: a sacrifice – in fact, it is a revived indulgence – indulgence in what is truly good.

The word simple is, by nature, simple – just 6 letters. Almost anyone can spell “simple”. Just ask the word “simple” how to live simply: stick to the basics, splurging now and then with a few vowels.

Today was a day to take a machete to things in my life that don’t make me feel alive. Simple, no?

They say Leonardo da Vinci said “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

I love this quote with all my heart.

I am determined to bring simplicity into my crazy, noisy life.

Things I did today to “simplify” matters:

Began the day with 30 minutes of yoga

Home schooled my kids

Spent some quiet time in my scriptures and in prayer

Had a delicious salad for lunch

Rode my bike to the library with my youngest

Made my own laundry soap

Started a Goodwill pile

Made a simple meal for dinner from my once-a-month cooking stock

Visited my chiropractor to do something just for me

New goal to explore tomorrow:

Salad for a year…. A salad every day of the year… and I’m off to a great start since I’ve replaced a meal with a salad each day this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment