Sunday, January 23, 2011

Law of Attraction-- Drama or Butterflies

 Drama…

Who needs it anyway?

Apparently we all love it… Well, maybe not all of us, but check out how many love to read about it in the gossip magazines, which we all know is never true. Look how popular those reality shows are, like The Bachelor or Survivor or Biggest Loser, okay maybe not ALL of us, but definitely the majority of us, or there wouldn’t be so many to choose from.

Of course when drama happening in our own lives we despise it!

... or do we? Have you ever thought that maybe we create the drama that encircles our lives like fast moving electron and protons?

I recognize that I can't control others, but I can ALWAYS control how I react to others.

Nobody's exempt from dealing with life's difficulties. We all have drama at some point in our lives. Right now I have 3 teens (2 hormonal daughters and 1 pubescent boy) and an engaged girl living in my home. Need I say more? With family members, friends, spouses, children? It's inevitable and it SUCKS, excuse my word choice, but it just does. As frustrating as it can be, we have to remember that it's all part of God’s plan. We're here to be tested. Which means, God wants us to learn how to deal with these things in a positive manner.

Sometimes I feel surrounded by drama when there is really no drama in my life at all.

I am a self proclaimed drama magnet.

A drama magnet tends to be there when people need a problem solved. Often we are confused with an actual drama queen who is someone who tends to look for or make up drama. But the drama magnet is more likely to be sitting back and listening, not creating. A drama queen is usually trying to find out what everyone is talking about where as a drama magnet will usually have everyone come to them. There are days I have a line… it forms to the left.

In an effort to simplify my life I have come up with the following plan:

(kids! Are you listening?)

1. Set limits - Setting limits will help me weed out the unnecessary drama that occurs in normal everyday life and the excess drama that may occur with a drama queen who seeks out me, a drama magnet. (Do you like that one Jo?).

2. I can’t fix it Letting people vent is one thing, but constantly correcting their lives is another. I will listen, but I won’t necessarily DO anything about it. Sorry guys. It’s part of the “Practicing Simplicity” plan.

3. Give myself time for me. Unplug my phone or going for a walk or heading to the coast for the day (Shar should like that one) and spend some time with me. It just might make the necessary drama manageable. It can be as simple as taking the time to make my salad or walking on the treadmill or, better yet, using the bathroom without someone pounding on the door or barging in! Maybe when the kids (and others) see that they will start to see that I need that, they will slow down the amount of stress they add to managed chaos I lovingly refer to as my life. (If they don’t then they need to be cut loose.) I need time to recharge the ol’ battery. Sometimes people are draining me of my own energy. (Thank heavens I have a massage on the calendar this week with Julie!). And once again we are back at limits. Refer to #1.

I truly believe that “If you want your garden to be attractive to butterflies, the best way is not to chase after them with a net, but to grow beautiful flowers inside. Naturally, butterflies will come themselves.”

I am determined to attract butterflies… a self declared butterfly magnet!

The answers to a happy life are inside everyone, and I believe each one of us instinctively knows what we want and need to do.

"It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world." -- The Chaos theory

I have been reflecting a lot these thought for a few days. My conclusion? I have the power and the capability to make a difference in my life and change for the better. I believe we all can be “butterfly magnets” and not “drama magnets.” But in order to go down that path, we all need to learn to love and accept self before we start helping others to transform.

“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present”

Sometimes the things that I'm worried most about are so insignificant when I step back and look at the big picture. It's easy to fall into a pity me party, but the best way to deal with those kinds of situations is to focus on solutions. Solutions meaning what YOU can do to fix it. Easier said than done, but it's something I'm working on.

Cheers to less drama and more meaningful time spent with the people that matter most.

Have a drama free day and enjoy the butterflies dance….


Oh…. And today I simplified my eating by having simply fruit for breakfast. For lunch I had a small simple salad of lettuce and dressing and a piece of tapioca bread with almond butter. I splurged and ate a few potato chips for a snack. I’ll have to work those off. For dinner, my hubby is making the most delicious ginger chicken soup as we speak… and a huge salad with red leaf lettuce, kale, tomato, jicama, cucumber, and cabbage to help out my goals. I just may convert him yet. 

I enjoyed church today. I learned that I need to simplify my time spent wasted on electronic devises. I decided that means I won’t check my e-mail every hour… or facebook… or my favorite blogs. Once a day should be enough. I also learned that I need to be more willing to sacrifice for that which is best. I will be pondering that this week. That sacrifice definitely needs to include more scripture and prayer time. I also learned from my daughter that sharing the gospel isn’t easy but it’s worth it. Today she brought a friend to church. I hope he enjoyed himself and feels like it was time well spent. He’s a great guy and I’d hate to see there be tension between them because of religious differences. The thing is… she recognizes that sharing truth is the important part, even in the face of fear. I admire that.

Salad – Day 7 small and simple… but maybe next week I’ll try something with a little pa-zazz.

Practice of Simplicity – Day 4 A simple day of worship and study…

No comments:

Post a Comment