Skip to main content

Living on the Edge... Is there Really Life Without a Microwave?

Is There Life Without a Microwave?


Well of course the answer to that question is yes. My grandmother lived without one, my mother didn't have one until I was in high school, I think, and there are millions of people around the world living today without a microwave. I could feed my family without a microwave. The real question is, do I want to?

In this day and age, living without a microwave sounds at the least, very backwards, almost third-world-like, and at the most, totally crazy. With busy schedules, how does one live without one? They're so very convenient for reheating food, cooking frozen meals, defrosting dinner at the last minute, and lots more. Why would anyone want to live without one?

Around Christmas my microwave fried. We've decided with all the craziness and of course expense of Christmas to hold off buying a new one until after the holidays… now it will have to wait until after the big wedding. Apparently Something Bad happened to it. Not sure what exactly, but it involved some sparking out of the thing as I attempted to nuke some frozen broccoli for the children to eat for dinner. And then some plain old the-lights-are-on-but-nothing-is-heating thereafter. So we unplugged the thing from the wall and pronounced it officially dead.  Even the microwave we borrowed started smoking.

I always thought that we didn't really use the microwave that much, except for reheating water for oatmeal in the morning and microwaving frozen veggies. I was wrong. First off, with kids in the house, the reasonably wholesome and healthy frozen foods from the grocery store are something of a godsend, but it's pretty tough to prepare many of them sans microwave.

The other difficult situation is with popcorn. Apparently most supermarkets believe that people only prepare microwave popcorn anymore. Personally, I would love to figure out how to make it the old fashioned way in a pot on the stove. Alas I only have microwave popcorn kicking around. I forgot that our microwave is pushing up daisies. Oops. Maybe I can rip open the bag and dump the contents into the pan and made it that way. Hmmm…

Now, I boil hot water in a ratty old tea kettle, and listen for the whistle. Don’t worry. I don’t stand around in crazy anticipation waiting for some buzzer to go off. I've got the time to take care of a little thing while I'm waiting for the whistle. I get the mail, I unload the top rack of the dishwasher, I water some plants. We're not talking a big time differential here - the mug has water for tea within three minutes with a kettle. Yet that three minutes seems like an eternity compared to the few seconds a microwave made me wait.

Defrosting means thinking ahead or revising the dinner menu if I forget. That's okay. I've found that over time, I'm not forgetting anymore - it's like I've settled into something here.

I am forced to admit I'm addicted to the convenience of the microwave. Are there rehabs for that? A microwave is not a NEED. It is a high priority want in this house. One I apparently am not prepared to go without.

I have to admit it… I like living in the modern age. I found this online once. I think it sums it all up: You know you're living in the 20th century when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 7.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you... not to mention the kids in the next room and the husband sitting behind you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You make phone calls from home, you accidentally dial "9" to get an outside line.

7. You've sat at the same desk for four years and worked for three different companies.

8. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home.

9. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

Comments

  1. Ours died too? That is too crazy - is it possible that the outlet is overheating somehow? Or that you were just lucky enough to get them both at the end of their life-span - really for that little thing to have lasted 18 yrs is pretty amazing....
    I totally know what you mean about the "high priority want" - we have all noticed ourselves looking for the little one being the clock in the dining room, and having colton need someone else's help be able to heat up his whatever because he cant reach the other one.
    I grew up most of my life without a microwave, and we didnt have cell phones until after we had moved here and had Kaeli. Yet now, we definately cant leave the house without them, and if we do, it means big trouble usually. The microwave is essential to our "leftovers" life -we have to with all our craziness, even being at home every day.
    All the little conveniences we have learned to rely on....and learned to save our pennies for. Maybe the learning to save isnt such a bad thing, just the process of learning the patience to wait along the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally tested it out last night ... sure enough, FIREWORKS! :+)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …