Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This is nothing to sneeze at.


Today I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Does This Blog Make Me Look Fat, and read one of the funniest weight-loss discoveries I’ve seen in quite some time. That cold I’ve had sometime during the fall or winter since the dawn of time could have contributed to my current dilema… that of un-wanted fat cells.

I had to Google this new finding. There is no way someone reported that. But they did. I found the story in CBS, MSN, and the BBC! LOL! I even found stories that go back as far as 2007.

Personally, I would be excited to find that there was a “scientific” excuse for my weight struggles other than over-eating and under-exercising…. Woot woot! Even the devilish side of me dreamed of accidently coughing and “spreading” the virus to some skinny, stuck-up people I’m tired of watching prance around in perfect runway fashion. You know who I’m talking about… the ones that can eat anything they want and never gain a pound and who seem to look down on me and judge me as if I’m not trying to improve my situation. But I wouldn’t want to wish my struggles on my worst enemy.

Here is the “skinny” on the story that broke last fall. In a story by Linda Carroll, a MSN.com contributer, on September 20, 2010, it was reported that, “A common virus may be one of the causes of the troubling obesity epidemic in American children, a new study shows. University of California, San Diego researchers found that obese children were far more likely to have antibodies to a specific strain of adenovirus than normal weight children, according to the report published early online in Pediatrics. Children who showed signs of infection with adenovirus 36 (AD36), a common cause of some colds and eye infections, were an average of 50 pounds heavier than those who had no antibodies to the virus. ”

Children? What about us adults? We’ve had a cold at least once a year for… well, I won’t say for how long since it will age me. I bet I’ve had that “fat cold” and somehow my friends and family missed out. I bet you will tell me that they work out and eat like mice. Well I know the truth.

If you ask me, THAT IS NOT FAIR! I really don’t need to complicate things by “adding” anything to my hips and butt from a cold! Thank you very much! Do you really expect me sanitize the freezer door before I reach for my Lean Cuisine meal? Perhaps I’m expected to wear a haz-mat suit when I go out in public?

In fact, researchers have shown that the virus may cause changes in the body that lead to weight gain. Some studies have shown that the virus can enter fat cell precursors, rewiring them to spew out more fat cells, while others have shown that the virus can modify fat cells themselves so that they store more fat.

This could explain so much. I’ve caught the common “fat cold”. This sounds so funny. The thing is we are all searching for some “reason” for our struggle with fat. We want to be able to point a finger at something and say, “See. It’s not my fault.” May be we are all waiting to hear some doctor say, “Keep eating those cheeseburgers and all that junk food. We have found the cause to the problem… a virus.” Before you know it there will be a vaccination for obesity.

Sure they would have chosen something medicine can’t do anything about. There is no cure for the common cold. It could really be true… NOT! Seriously!

Besides, there is no cure for the common cold. The scientists may have found one more thing to line up for causes to the ailments that plague mankind… and once again there is no cure.

For now, all we can do it wash our hands; eat right; and exercise. And maybe, next time I get a cold I’ll visit the mall… maybe I’ll invest in Lysol and Purell stock. LOL. Maybe I’ll create “Quarantine Centers”. I could be rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment