Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Fun

As I alluded to earlier... I'm trying real hard to make this summer a great summer for my 3rd grader.  It is so easy for her to get lost in the teenager shuffle around here.  My initial intention was to plan something she had never, or rarely done before for each day.  I haven't made it with my goal of an activity every day, but I've come close and she is having a blast.

To kick off the summer we all went camping at the coast.  While we were camping we tried a new campfire treat... Banana Boats.  It was easy.  First we sliced banana, skin and all, then we stuffed the banana with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.  Then we wrapped the banana in tinfoil and placed it in the coals.


After 10 minutes we took it off the coals and enjoyed!  I didn't even miss the fact that I no longer can eat ice cream.  It was just as yummy as a Banana Split!  This treat was a HUGE hit!  We also made S'Mores.  These are always a big hit with my kids.  Maybe it's the sugar.  LOL.




We went to a fun mall in Seaside and Lilli got to ride the carousel.  I wish my cell phone could have captured her face better!


I found this great kit at Wal-Mart.  It was so much fun.  Unfortunately, my camera was unavailable when we followed the directions to make the chalk, and the cell phone camera just couldn't pick up the "glow" in the Glow-in-the-Dark chalk drawings.  It was so easy.  We just needed to mix the packets with water, shake real hard and then we poured them into the molds.  Lilli was thrilled to have the chance to "make" chalk.  The next day we gathered the kids at the campground and they all drew pictures on the campground loop.  Another great hit!  So fun!


We tried something new this beach trip... we built a bon fire on the beach at dusk.  It was chilly, but fun!


We also started writing to a Pen Pal... ok... it's Grandma.  Lilli is always sad that she doesn't get mail in the mail box (me too,.  I only get bills!)  I got s few postcards of the places we were visiting and Lilli started wring and mailing the postcards.  The best part is, being a pen pal is a great way to practice penmanship, sentence structure, addressing mail, punctuation, and general writing skills.  I win!  English and Writing and Spelling with no fuss and no tears!

                                                   Finally, we went to Cannon Beach, home of Haystack Rock. 


We went to make sand castles.  And that is just what we did.  I think Lilli liked digging and destroying the castles more than she liked building the castles.



In all, I think we are off to a great summer.  Yesterday and today we spent getting the garden planted.  Tomorrow we will make Strawberry Jam.  Hopefully, I can make the camera work for me and get some pictures of the process.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Love the chalk idea. Very cool! I think I will get on the "PenPal" wagon myself, if you don't mind me stealing your idea. Happy Jam Day!

    ReplyDelete