Monday, July 18, 2011

From 40 to 4 in one sniffle...



Be fair warned… men who read this blog who can laugh at themselves, will realize what makes this so funny. For the women who know men and have ever been around them when said man is sick, they – the women – will hopefully, get a kick out of my thoughts today.


Today I don’t feel too well. I have a stuffy nose, a sore throat starting, and cramps that are near crippling. I think it is safe to say that I didn’t sleep too well. Meanwhile, my husband thinks he may be developing an allergy to chocolate, and he has a stuffy nose and a stomach ache. It is safe to say he didn’t sleep well.

That is where similarities pretty much end.

When men get sick, regardless of their physical age, they all become 4-year-olds! Why is that? I mean they whine and moan............... (although, today my husband hasn’t been too bad… LOL).

Women don't do that! They are expected to carry on like little soldiers!

What is up with that?

So far today, I’ve done 5 loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, did a load of dishes, cleaned the bathroom, cleaned up and updated my chore board, taught 3 voice lessons, ordered the kids to do their chores, and weeded two rows of the veggie garden. Later, I will teach one more lesson, make dinner, and go to play rehearsal. My hubby stayed in bed. He called in sick. I think he read. He got up and made some humus and ate a snack. He sat on his computer for awhile and now he is watching a movie. Ah! The life!

Why is it that “the MOM” doesn’t have such sick days?

One upon a time I thought men, when they got sick, would get all macho and wouldn’t let anybody know that they have a 101-degree fever and act as normal as they could. Well… at least that’s how Hollywood portrays its on-screen heroes.

It’s clear that the men in my life are not Hollywood heroes.

Sometimes I smile seeing the behaviors of men around me whenever they get sick. When men are sick they tend to lie on the couch or bed and turn into a giant lump that might not move for hours while watching reruns of old cartoons and bad sitcoms – all while groaning, moaning, and whining about being sick.

When women are sick they usually still care for the children, cook dinner, do the laundry, clean the floors, and every other task they perform on a daily basis.

At least this has been my experience.

Just for fun I Googled “men act like babies when sick” and I saw page after page of blogs and articles written by women about their boyfriends or husbands. Some feel it is a need that men have to be mothered while others think it is because men don’t have periods – umm, okay. LOL.

Whatever the reason, it must be related to why men are from Mars and women are from Venus. Maybe we are completely different creations. All I know is that I am relieved to sit for a minute and write this blog, just so I can get a rest… and I’m trying not to be jealous of all the R&R my husband got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment