Saturday, July 30, 2011

National Lasagna Day

Yesterday we Celebrated National Lasagna Day.  I love Lasagna, but haven't been able to enjoy it for 2 years now, due to my allergy to wheat and to pasteurised milk products.  But I have succeeded in finding my way around that!

Dessert Lasagna

OK.  Use your imagination.  Admit it.  It looks a little like Lasagna.

I started with:



Having my daughter make a vanilla cake for the family.  Yeah.  I know.  She should have used the mixed.  Hands? That is what I get for not paying attention to the kitchen.  A least I don't have to eat that one.

And for me...



a gluten free pound cake from the health food store, homemade strawberry jam, banana, vanilla pudding made with coconut milk, coconut, and non-dairy whipped topping.  I sliced the cakes length wise...



Then spread the strawberry jam...


... layered on the pudding and the banana ...


... and repeated...



after the last layer we spread the whipped topping...


Then we sprinkled it with coconut (for the cheese) and a little green coconut (for the parsley).

It was a hit!

Now you can't have Lasagna Day without real Lasagna.  Now I have to admit... I bought a Stouffer's Lasagna for the family.  What?  I was making two cakes and a wheat free dairy free lasagna... and I had to really think on that.  This is what I came up with:



Ok... It doesn't look that good, but it was so yummy!  I layered rice lasagna noodles, spaghetti sauce, turkey sausage, an other layer of noodles, spaghetti sauce, fresh spinach, sliced zucchini, mushrooms, and 3 beaten eggs mixed with feta.  The top layer was noodles spaghetti sauce and a little raw Swiss cheese for flavor.

Ray, John, and Kimber said it was better then the store bought lasagna.  Now that I know what to do, I will definitely make this again!

1 comment: