Skip to main content

A few summer adventures

We have had a few fun summer adventures in the past couple of weeks.

First, Hannah and I went on a road trip to Centrialia Washington to my cousin's Daughter's wedding.  It was at a cute barn and had a Western theme.  The food was great and the company was even better.  It was so fun to catch up with family we haven't seen in a very long time.  I really need to do a better job of making family connections and keeping in touch with aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings.  Life really is all about the family connections we make.  Those connections are what makes life worth living.

The following week, my brother David stopped by from Australia.  He and his family live in Perth.  He came to the states to attend a friend's wedding and decided to make a whirl wind tour of all his siblings homes.  We were his first stop.  The poor guy had jet lag most of the time he visited for two days.  Still, he kept him extremely busy.  We drug him around to all our activities.  We took him to Brigadoon rehearsal.  We took him to the county fair were he promptly got himself a corn dog of all things.  They don't have corn dogs in Australia.  They don't have corn on the cob either.  I'm surprised that he wasn't sick from all the "American" junk food that he consumed.  He did eat some foods that were good for him too.  He enjoyed walking out to the garden and picking veggies and eating them... dirt and all.  LOL.  He said his kids would never believe that he could walk out and get raspberries or pea and eat them right off the vine.  He also treated us to what he called an "Australian Omelet."  It was more like scrambled eggs with stuff in it, but it was tasty.

One of the biggest adventures of the past two weeks was the performances of Hannah, Chad and McKay at the county fair.  The local newspaper even wrote a story about their experience.  The Itemizer published the story and printed a picture.  They didn't make the top 3, but the all made it to the top 10.  We all were a little disappointed.  They did an excellent job!  The top 3 were not from our county and the number one placement declined to represent our county at the State Fair.  Our friends seemed disappointed that people that don't live in our county can have the honor of representing the county.  I guess we feel the same, at the risk of sounding like sour grapes. 

My friend did record their performances.  She posted them on Facebook.  I can't figure out how to save them to my own computer, so I don't know how to post them on my blog.  I guess I will try to link them to Facebook.  Sure hope it works and you can all see their fantastic performances! 

Here isMcKay singing "Joey is a Punk Rocker"... and Chad and Hannah performing "Jar of Hearts".

We also enjoyed Raspberry Treat day.  I made a Cream Cheese Raspberry Braid.

I didn't get to eat it myself... but everyone said it was tasty.  I even got to use raspberries from my garden.

McKay and I also helped at the local High School registration for three days.  I do find that a little ironic, since we are mainly a home school family.  McKay has moved on and is planning on working this fall and starting massage school in January.  Chad only has choir, math, and a weight class at the school.  None of my other kids go to school.  How did we get so involved in the school system.  Oh well.  At least we are contributing to the community and doing what we can to make our community a better place to live.
Thanks to Dairy Queen, we celebrated National Soft Ice Cream day.  The kids are really liking the fact that I found "National... whatever day."  Even the missionaries are enjoying the fun.  We got a voice message the other day from the missionaries telling us that it was National Leave Ice Cream on the Missionaries doorstep Day."  Funny guys.

Lillian spent a week at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  I don't have any pictures of her adventures, but she did have fun.  She went swimming with the neighbors... played with cousins... and even went to Crater Lake.  Luck girl.  Meanwhile, at home, Chad goes to football and more football.  This week is daily doubles.  He is going to be one tired boy.  That's a good thing.  Maybe it will change his sleep schedule to something we can all live with during the school year.  Hannah and I go to a ton of play rehearsal  Brigadoon opens this week.  Her picture and a story were published in the paper.  She is the dancer on the far right.  It opens this week.

McKay has had the most adventures.  Nearly all of them are with the singles ward.  Weird to think of her as a singles ward kind of girl.  She's gone water skiing, white water rafting, camping and hiking, said goodbye to a friend heading to Sweden for the year and swimming along side a friend's pool.  Ah, to have McKay's life.
Well... that about sums up the adventure of the past couple of weeks.  Everything, with the exception of the bee... that will need to be a whole different blog.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …