Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An attitude of Gratitude

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more.”  Melodie Beatty

I know everyone and their dog is blogging about what they are thankful for this month... but just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean I should avoid making a list of what I am thankful for.

Then i remember what Thomas S. Monson taught, "We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues."

Thus, I leap onto the band wagon and begin a daily record of something I am grateful for:

I'm thankful for financial blessings. I know.  Shocker.  Especially in the light of recent complains of people not paying for my services and the fact that I've been know to complain in the past of a shortage of cash.  However, I must admit, miracles happen.  We often don't have a lot, but somehow we always have enough to pay the bills and pay the house payment. We have a roof over our heads, functional utilities that remain that way, and food to eat. Hand-me-down bags arrive.  A surprise check comes in the mail.  A car continues to run.  Free apples turn up on the door step.  There are a lot of times that there is no logical reason that the money should stretch to cover all of our needs; miracles happen, and ends meet. I lovingly refer to these miracles as "Loaves and Fishes."  Perhaps it is due to the fact that we never are hungry and there is always enough food to go around, even when extra people come for dinner.  I am grateful for those miracles.


Sometimes, I find myself complaining when things are tight, but I need to remember that sometimes when things are toughest, it's easier to see the blessings.

I am also grateful that john is taking a more active role in bill paying.  Since the day we got married, I have been responsible for paying the bills.  I haven't been responsible for coming up the lion share of the money to pay them.... just writing the checks and popping them in the mail.  In the last couple of months John has taken over.  I have to admit... I'm not taking to the change very well.  I don't always agree with how he does things.  For example, I would have never gotten more checking accounts in an effort to curve spending.  I would have been concerned that checks would bounce and we'd loose track of what money was where, but he is sure that this new development will help.  All the same, I am grateful that I don't have to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment