Monday, November 14, 2011

Thankful for... music

Music... among the gifts that God hath sent, one of the most magnificent! - Longfellow


I spent the day teaching music. it wasn't perfect. But it was music, and it was joyful. I love music!

Music is like an old friend; there when I need him. When I’m feeling low – music is the comforter. When times are rough; music softens the blow. There’s something very, very special about music.

Music is so expressive. With it, one can speak out joy, sadness, praise, despair, and any degree of emotion in between... without using a single word.

I also love fun, bouncy music that you can play while cleaning the house - to keep your spirits up while you eradicate dust and dirt. The louder the better!

And I love quiet, contemplative, instrumental music to play when I'm in a thoughtful or quiet mood.

I can’t think of a time of day at my house that you can’t find music raising the roof and filling the air.

I enjoy nearly every kind of music you can think of… Broadway musicals; classics such as Beethoven, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky; artists on the Windham Hill label; great singer such as Barbra Streisand, Michael Buble, Ella Fitzgerald, Adele; crazy bands like Muse, the Preset, and U2. Truth is, I like nearly everything with the exception of rap and hard rock… and most country music. I find that the collection of music on my MP3 and computer surprises most people.

There’s always been a place in my heart for music. I’m thankful for it. Beyond a doubt, it calms me. It gives me the peace I so often need and deserve. Without music, I would have failed many more times than I already have.

Without music – my soul would stop singing.

Today, I am thankful for music!

No comments:

Post a Comment