Skip to main content

A-WALL

So.... I've been a-wall from SparkPeople for a few months. I started blogging on my "Resigning as General Manager of the Universe blog (although I've backed off on posting on that blog too, due to my attitude issues), and beleived I was too busy to track myself on Sparkpeople.  Plus, I was suffering from a severe case of bad attitude.


The thing is, I have cut all wheat, dairy, and soy from my diet due to allergies. I've been eating a salad a day. No change in the old body. Boo!

Hello! I'm eating like a rabbit for heaven sake!

Ok... I will admit, that after a year of allergy free diet and no change in the body, I didn't make exercise a priority. Sure, I went on a walk, once in a while, with my daughter. I even got on the treadmill a couple times. I just didn't do all that I could to break a sweat every day, like I know I should.

In addition to my grumpy feelings of having a restricted diet and I am exactly the same weight, I was suffering from a severe dislike of exercise due to my childhood.

Before you start to judge me on that account, let me explain. I come from a family that loves sports. I am not good at sports. I tried volleyball until my Junior year in HS and after that Junior year, and never playing a game from 8th grade to my Junior year, I quit. It wasn't worth the pain. This year, I have been reliving that humiliation through my son. He isn't good at sports either, but he tries hard. He goes early to practice. He goes to all he daily triples and daily practices. He goes to an extra weight training class. Still, as a Junior, he doesn't get to play.   In fact, he never played a home game until the very last game of the year... for 4 plays.  Sad.  We all go to every game, home and away games, to watch him stand on the sidelines. His sadness weighs heavy on my heart.

Meanwhile, all those old feelings of how much I can't stand exercise have been screaming loudly in my head.

But it's time, once again, to get over that.

I thought about when I've been most successful with exercise. It was at least 9 years ago when I went to Curves.

So I called Curves. They have a sign up special next week. I called my husband. We decided to make it a priority in the old budget. I will give it my all for one year.

I also get to get my eyes checked today. My glasses broke a month ago. I haven't had the money to do anything about it. However, the headaches at the end of the day are getting old. It's time to bite the bullet and buy new glasses.

Sometimes the "money" bullet is hard to swallow. I work very hard... watching other people's kids, teaching voice lessons, and working down at the HS. Often, my work goes un-paid. I do charge for my services, it's just that some people find reasons as to why they don't pay me... thus, spending money becomes an issue.

But, I've decided. Glasses and help with exercise are worth the expense and the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …