Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so that my posterity will know Christ. This is very exciting! Why have I never done this before?

This gift is given “to show” us God’s tender mercies for His people. The word remember is permeated throughout the book. In Helaman 5 “remember” is listed 15 times. REMEMBER that if He can help them, He can help us!

This gift that we may “know the covenants of the Lord.” Covenants mentioned 150 times in the Book of Mormon. Many covenants that were taken out of the Bible are in the Book of Mormon. (Baptism in the Old Testament is one example).

This gift is given that we may “not be cast off forever.” Alma and Ammon and the sons of Mosiah were just like him. They had been the vilest of sinners and destroying the church before repentance and changing their lives through the atonement. There are no second class citizens with the Lord in his kingdom. If we return and repent, we will be cleansed through the blood of the atonement and past sins forgotten.

This gift is for the “convincing… that Jesus is the Christ.” Every page we read, we should be looking for the Savior, even the war chapters. There are 6607 versus in the Book of Mormon, reference to the Savior is in 3925 of them.

Don’t you just love the words of Moroni?

The Book of Mormon was written by commandment, the Spirit of prophecy and revelation. I believe that we are to study it because it is a commandment and we are to study it with the help of the Spirit the Spirit of Revelation.

Rev. 19:10 teaches that the Spirit of Revelation - a testimony of Christ. As the world gets crazier and crazier we will all desperately need that testimony… especially the young people. The gift of prophecy is to know Christ and the greatest of all spiritual gifts is spirituality.

President Ezra Taft Benson: “The major mission of the Book of Mormon, as recorded on its title page, is ‘to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations.’ “The honest seeker after truth can gain the testimony that Jesus is the Christ as he prayerfully ponders the inspired words of the Book of Mormon. “Over one-half of all the verses in the Book of Mormon refer to our Lord. Some form of Christ’s name is mentioned more frequently per verse in the Book of Mormon than even in the New Testament. “He is given over one hundred different names in the Book of Mormon. Those names have a particular significance in describing His divine nature” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1987, 101; or Ensign, Nov. 1987, 83).

It is my hope that my study of the book of Mormon will bring me closer to Christ in the process, bring my children and their children and neighbors and friends to Christ too.

Comments

  1. I love your idea of marking a copy for your grandson! Thank you for your thoughts here.

    The one thing that always sticks in my mind in the introductory pages of the Book of Mormon is how it says, "We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith WILL gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost."

    This is on the next page, the Introduction, but I just love that they use the word "will." It's not a maybe or perhaps, but WILL! Love it!

    I'm looking forward to following your impressions as you read. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that part too! I am thinking that this promise is the very reason prophets have taught that we need to read the Book of Mormon daily. Sadly, the Title page and the Introduction are often missed by readers. I think 1 Nephi 1 is the most read chapter of scripture in history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not looked at the title page in many years - I realize after reading it and contemplating it today, I have been missing out. I love to realize in simple terms that in simple terms the reason for this wonderful book is - "And also to the convincing of the Jews and Gentile that JESUS is the CHRIST, the ETERNAL GOD, manifesting himself unto all nations" I knew that but now I KNOW it - looking forward to upcoming comments and impressions

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Wendy - I figured this out finally - my last post but a bit messed up (repeated myself) - Thanks for initiating this - I am so excited and loved my read with a purpose this morning!!! love ya Jill aka Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill! I'm glad you worked it out. I too am impressed with the power of the title page. Seriously! How many times have I skipped it? I am grateful god inspired Moroni to add it just before he buried the plates. Nothing could be stated more plainly than this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you color code your scriptures and if so what are the colors/subjects. I love your title page but wanted to see how the colors correspond.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …