Monday, January 9, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - 2 Nephi 10

The Jews will crucify their God—They will be scattered until they begin to believe in him—America will be a land of liberty where no king will rule—Reconcile yourselves to God and gain salvation through his grace. About 559–545 B.C.


I love the message of vs. 2, 7-8, 21-22. These verses tell us what the Lord will do for these people when they believe in Him and repent of their sins.

Elder Boyd K. Packer taught: "The discouraging idea that a mistake (or even a series of them) makes it everlastingly too late, does not come from the Lord. He has said that if we will repent, not only will He forgive us our transgressions, but He will forget them and remember our sins no more (see Isaiah 43:25;

The one line that stuck out to me today was in verse 16: "for they who are not for me are against me..."

There is no grey area, no middle ground. The Lord had made it clear that there are two teams: for or against, God or mammon. He doesn't like lukewarm either. In Revelation he talks about spewing them out.

It's that old axiom, "inaction is action."

It makes me look at my life and what I am doing and not doing. Which side does that put me on? What team does it put me on?

I want to make sure that all I do puts me safely and solely on his team.

Then I come to vs. 22-23. Jacob said that his people should "cheer up [their] hearts" because the Lord remembers His covenant people. Think of how you can find comfort in the knowledge that the Lord remembers His covenant people.

I think it includes us remembering Him. Vs. 25 is Jacob’s concluding message in this discourse. We should pause to consider our gratitude for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and commit ourselves to "choose...the way of eternal life" (2 Nephi 10:23).

After thinking about the chapter for a little while… and receiving a call from some politician party, I started thinking hard about the promises that mentioned. America is a promised land. I decided to list all the promises that I can think of:

AMERICA'S PROMISE

1. This land set aside by God since the time of the flood: Ether 13:2-3
2. A consecrated land to those led by God's hand: 2 Nephi 1:5-7
3. 2 Nations fail to keep this covenant with their King: Ether 2:12
4. 1,000+ years & the Spirit moves upon the hearts of men: I Nephi 13:12-13;16
5. Preparing for the Restoration: 3 Nephi 21:4
6. A Constitution established to benefit all mankind: D&C 101:77-80
7. Zion to be established: Isaiah 2:2-3 Article of Faith #10
8. Land fortified against those who fight Zion: 2 Nephi 10:11-13
9. No greater freedom than this: 2 Nephi 10:23-25

President Benson taught, "When this nation was established, the Church was restored & from here the message of the restored gospel has gone forth -- all according to divine plan. This then becomes the Lord's base of operations in these latter days. And this base -- the land of America -- will not be shifted out of its place. This nation will, in a measure at least, fulfill its mission even though it may face serious and troublesome days. The degree to which it achieves its full mission depends upon the righteousness of its people. God, through His power, has established a free people in this land as a means of helping to carry forward His purposes.

"It was His latter-day purpose to bring forth His gospel in America, not in any other place. It was in America where the Book of Mormon plates were deposited ... It was here where He organized His modern Church, where He, Himself, made a modern personal appearance ( See D&C 20:1.)

"It was here under a free government and a strong nation that protection was provided for His restored Church. Now God will not permit America, His base of operations, to be destroyed. He has promised protection to this land if we will but serve the God of the land." (See Ether 2:12.)" (Teaching of Ezra Taft Benson, pp. 571-72).

What did you think/learn today?

2 comments:

  1. I remember the comments discussion you had a few weeks back about "it is by grade ye are saved, after all ye can do." (2 Nephi 25:23) Someone was concerned that this teaching indicated we put a higher value on our own goodness than on the grace of God. It is interesting to place that verse alongside this from Ch 10:24 (the two are written by brothers) - "Reconcile yourselves to the will of God,. . . and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved."

    I love the concept of reconciliation to the will of God. Sometimes I forget this and try very hard to get God to be reconciled to MY will, but God wants something much better for me than that. :^)

    Life has provided me the opportuntity to seek reconciliation, and to experience at least some of the saving grace of Jesus Christ. I absolutely know that there is no salvation without the Gift of God's Beloved Son. I can do nothing to save myself. Without him I can only fall.

    I also know that while he has always been reaching for me, in times when I have been selfish and not reaching toward him, my hand did not catch his. If I had not changed I would continue to fall even in spite of his outstretched hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No earth shattering things come to my mind. But throughout the entire day I felt clarity. I love days like this. At dinner tonight I summed it up very short. My life works better when I have the Lord in it. That also means when I make time for the Lord in it. I wasn't doing that so well in the past. I am glad I remembered.
    Just one more thing. Remember that there are lot's of times when we will never know the impact our example has on another.
    Repentence, yes John I agree that the Lord is always reaching outward for us, when we don't connect it is because we turn away. I think that may be one of satan's greatest tools, to get us to believe that we can't return to him, can't be whole again.

    ReplyDelete