I do have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that I haven't succeeded in generating discussion with others on what they are learning from their study. It's hard to tell if or how many others might be reading along with me. I decided to blog my thoughts a) to record them for Benjermin and b) to generate conversation around gospel principles. Sadly, I haven't gotten much conversation. I don't know if the lack of conversation reflects a state of having nothing to to say or if it reflects a situation in which I am on this journey alone. Either way, I miss the adult conversation. I've decided to not worry about it so much. I will blog for Benjermin's sake and print off all notes at the end of my reading. Other than that, I no longer have expectation.
Today I read the Conference Talk by Elder D. Todd Christofferson entitled The divine gift of Repentance. I must admit I really enjoyed this talk. I can't think of a better talk to read on the first day of the year. Here are the points that made a deep impression on my heart:
1) Repentance is a gift... a gift of love.
2) Repentance is the necessary condition, and the grace of Christ is the power by which "mercy can satisfy the demands of justice."
3)Repentance means striving to change.
4) Real repentance may require repeated attempts.
5) Repentance is not only abandoning sin but also committing to obey.
6) Repentance requires serious purpose and willingness to preserve.
Great lessons on a day where I am evaluating my goals for the week... returning to healthy habits in eating and sleep... back into the scheduled routine of school and seminary... and making time for things that are most important.