Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - Alma 13

Sometimes I wonder what would it have been like to hear Alma as he spoke these words. He felt it so passionately, to the point in verse 27 when he said it caused him anxiety even unto pain. I have felt that way when I think of my children. I want the best for them. I want them to happy, to make good choices, to receive blessings and have faith. I want it so bad it hurts.


But, Alma felt this for people he didn't know. Perhaps it’s a bit like when a Bishop says he loves each member if his congregation, or when President Monson says he loves and appreciates and prays for each member of the church (all 16 million of us.) Is it possible to feel that way for people we don't know, and perhaps never met?

Yes.

Well, I haven't felt love for others I don’t know to the extent of Alma, but I have on a smaller level. It happens when I am sharing my testimony of the gospel and the Savior. It happens because I know how I feel, and I want that for the people that I'm testifying to. I want them to feel what I'm feeling. I want them to feel the Savior’s love… I especially want this for my family.

I know this feeling doesn’t really have anything to do with me. It has all to do with Heavenly Father allowing someone to feel the love that He has for someone else. I know I don’t really have the capacity to love that much. But I know God does! That's how I feel about my kids always (well, most always, lol.) And, when I open the windows to heaven as I testify (the same thing that happens to all of us when we testify of the truth) I feel it for others.

It's quite miraculous.

I also love the straight-forwardness of Alma. He wanted them to be humble and to have faith. He spoke of the importance of the Priesthood and of course, the Savior. He spoke of the love of God and repentance. It was beautiful exhortation.

What did you learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment