Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Study - conference talk

Yesterday and today I read a conference talk. 

The first talk I read was Teaching after the Manner of the Spirit by Matthew O. Richardson.  This was one of my favorite talks in October, and not because I teach seminary.  I loved this talk because it was answer to how I could better reach the big C.

I need inspiration on how to be a "real" mom... and a "real" teacher.

I am searching for a way to teach him without restricting learning.

The "real" teacher is the Holy Ghost... even in and maybe especially in the home.  Parents "should not teach in front of the spirit or behind the Spirit but by the Spirit so the Spirit can teach the truth unrestrained.

Reading this talk reminded me of the impressions I had in October when I first listened to it.  I needed change my way of teaching C and better emulate the way the Spirit would teach C.

I needed to remember that I am teaching a person not lessons or concepts. 

The Holy Ghost teaches the truth of all things, but He doesn't teach them all at once.  He teaches them one at a time.  I need to remember to teach the lessons that each child is ready for.  None of my children is at the same place spiritually.

I needed to remember to stop and listen... to more than just the words.  I needed to carefully observe and then discern what to do next.

The thing is, my first instinct is normally to fly off the handle, yell a little, holler some more, take away everything but bread and water, until I get conformity.

I needed to remember that reaching the heart of my kids needs to be by invitation, prompting, encouraging, and inspiration, not force.  Case in point... I finally changed the requirements to get a driving permit from complete church activity to just keep a clean room and sleep in your own bed.  Church was obviously not going to happen.  But I somehow needed to teach responsibility and a way to make it in the world as an adult.  It took nearly a year.  Finally, a clean room... sleeping in a bed and not the family room chair... and major attitude change.  Still no church, but I mom can hope.  At least we are moving in the right direction.

I need to remember that I can not do what my kids can do for themselves.  I can not feel for them.  I cannot learn for them.  I cannot act for them... I cannot repent for them.  They need to do it for themselves... even if it's hard on the mom.

I need to create an environment where we all learn to value, not just learn about values.  I need to help my family understand and live basic gospel principles.

I need to be "real."

Today I read Choose Eternal Life by Elder Randall K. Bennett.  This talk went so well together!

We are all "free to choose liberty and eternal life."

Sadly, we often think we can live IN both the safety of righteousness and the dangers of worldliness.

Elder Bennett reminded us that prophets teach by the spirit by inviting, encouraging, teaching, reminding and warning us.  They know our safety depends on choosing to follow the insights we gain in daily scripture study, pondering and prayers, the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and the council of the prophets.

I had to make a self check with his suggested questions.  I've got some work to do.

I'm hoping that I can remember these lessons and be the kind of parent my kids need and deserve.

What have you learned fro Conference lately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …