Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - Alma 18

I love this story!

In this story Ammon is a type of Christ.  He is faithful (vs. 2).  He preserves the flocks (vs. 2).  He has great power to contend against enemies (vs. 2).  He is an expert (vs. 3).  He has great strength (vs. 3).  He works hard (vs. 8-10).  He kept commandments (vs. 10).  He was filled with the Spirit (vs. 16).  "I will do" was his motto (vs. 17).  He knows all things through the Spirit (vs. 18).

I thought it was interesting in vs. 10 how Lamoni defined a faithful servant as one who "doth remember all my commandments to execute them." Exactness is hard to come by.  Sometimes we look at keeping the commandments more like a buffet and pick and choose which commandments we want to keep.  To follow all of the commandments- not just the ones that we like or are convenient, but all of them is the way to go.


It would be nice if the Savior can say the same thing about us that Lamoni said about Ammon, "surely there has not been any servant among all my servants that has been so faithful as this man (woman); for even he (she) doth remember all my commandments and execute them."

To be more obedient we need to follow Ammon's example and ask, "What wilt thou that I should do for thee?"  "what desires thou of me?"

I love how in verse 17 Ammon shows his willingness to serve Lamoni in anything he desires "which is right." His dedication to choosing the right supersedes all- even a king.  "That which is right I will do."

When Ammon finally had King Lamoni's attention, he started teaching him based on their common ground: the Great Spirit. When a missionary or teacher takes that approach, they go on the journey with them and make it a positive experience, not an overwhelming one.

He went at the pace that was good for King Lamoni. He explained how the Lamanites got to where they were- cleared the air, so to speak. Then, in verse 30, he expounded on the Plan of Redemption. To be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

The Plan of Salvation is my favorite lesson! 

I can't wait to read the rest of the story tomorrow.

What did you think/learn today?



No comments:

Post a Comment