Skip to main content

Not a Morning Person

(The following represents a morning at the Boyack house).

The big C is NOT a morning person.

8:15 am (the alarm has been going for at least 15 minutes).

"Good morning!  What would you like for breakfast?"

"urmma mumble mumble mumble."

"What was that?" I say in my most cheerful voice.

The irritation is clear.  The voice raises.  "I said CORNFLAKES."  He stumbles to the shower.

I put the cornflakes, milk, bowl, measuring cup (he's on a diet and is VERY picky about how much he is consuming), cup, OJ, and spoon on the table.  Meanwhile, I make oatmeal for the rest of the family, get the girls moving on their day and ask H to clean off the table to we can start school.

"H!  I told you not to touch my stuff.  Where's my stuff?"

"In your backpack.  I was cleaning the table off."

"Gah!  You don't listen!  I told you not to touch my stuff," he yells.

"How long has the milk been out?"

"I just put it on the table."

"Well L always leaves it out and it gets bad (BTW the last 3 times it was left out by C.  I put it away)."

"Well C, I got up early and set an alarm so it would be warmed up for your breakfast."

"Gah!  Why do you think your funny?  Where are my shoes?"

"I assume they are in the family room on the floor where you...."

"Who put them there?  Everyone touches my stuff!"

"How's your room look?  did you make your bed today?"

"I'm airing it out."

"What's the matter?"

"L is looking at me.  She's so annoying!  Did my clothes get in the dryer?"

"I don't know C.  Didn't you do your laundry? (I know he started it because the rest of the laundry is now being trampled on the laundry room floor where he dumped it).  Maybe we should send it out to a laundry service.  I bet they will do a bang up job."

"I need money for that choir thing."

"Do you want me to loan you some?  I thought you had some money in your room."

"I don't like to borrow."

"Are you ready to go?"

"Gah!  No one ever listens!  Just go start the car and wait for me." (I waited for 10 minutes).

He gets in the car and slams the door.  "Drive fast... without getting pulled over.  You made me late."

We arrive at the school.  "Have a great day!" I say with a smile.  "I love you."

"Why do you always tell me what to do?"

Some days are like that.

Comments

  1. You go, Girl! BTW~ I roar at the irony of his "Why do you always tell me what to do?" When 'tis HE who tells you to: "..GET IN the car... and WAIT....DRIVE fast ....etc." You earn your wings in more than one way, in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …