Friday, June 15, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - Alma 45

There are a few things in this chapter that I find interesting. The first is that even after experiencing the horrors of war, the Nephites rejoiced and praised God. How easy would it have been for them to be bitter or complain?  I need to work on giving thanks after difficult events.


Then, in verses 2-7 Alma the Younger has essentially a Priesthood interview with his son, Helaman. Even though he knew his son well, in order to qualify him for the blessing he was about to receive (a prophecy of the demise of their people) he had to have been found worthy. Here Alma was not only acting as a father, but also as Helaman's Priesthood leader. There is order in God's church, even among family members.

How sad it must have been for Alma and Helaman to see the wickedness and inevitable destruction of their people. Nevertheless, they did not let that knowledge keep them from fighting for what is right.

In this chapter we learn, once again, that there are penalties for wickedness, and blessings for righteousness. The Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.

Who's on the Lord's side, who?

ME!  Well... at least I am giving it my best effort.

It is also interesting to me how quickly the Nephites were lifted up in pride and began to rebel (vs 24) soon after the church was again established by Helaman and his brethren. It was their riches and prosperity that gave them a false sense of value and entitlement.

I see that a lot in the world today. As a parent, I am always reminding my children where they value comes from, and where their faith and gratitude should go.  I sure wish I felt it wasn't falling on deaf ears.  No one escapes pride.  We all have to concur that demon.

It's amazing how simple it is. Humility = righteousness. Pride = wickedness.

What did you get out of it today?

No comments:

Post a Comment