Skip to main content

The Week at the Boyack's - Week 2

This week isn't every eventful  We actually did a ton of stuff, but I didn't take many pictures.  I think it was mostly because we were all going in different directions.  Most of the week we had someone missing.., leaving us with 2 or 3 kids at home.  Most nights I made dinner and no one was home to eat it.

McKay came one on Tuesday from her trip to New Mexico.  She got to meet all of Myles family members, see the desert, go on a road trip through New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah, before flying home from Salt Lake City.  She even got to stop in Springville and see some of John's family and my cousin Moana for a few minutes.

She stopped at a couple of temples on the way.  I think it would have been cool to stop at every temple she passed and take a picture.  I want to do the someday.  She then worked the rest of the week and started wedding planning. 

Ben came to play a couple times this week.  He really likes the solid foods he is able to try.  He isn't a big fan of baby food in jars.  He will only eat is with cereal.  He sleep nicely in his own bed.  He scoots across the floor too.  He is one happy boy!

This is what I have been doing all week.... getting ready for CET (Children's Educational Theater).  This is the first year I've given it a try... it is the first year anyone has ever ask me too.  You would think that I'd start out slow... maybe just teach the first time.  Not me.  I am a teacher and the Tech Director .  I am responsible for 5 productions; sets, light, sound, props, and crew.

I designed 3 out of the 4 sets.  The first one is for Music Man JR.  It will be on the main stage at South Salem High School.  It was hard because there is no fly system to speak of, no wing space, and an out of date light and sound system.  The second set is for Giraffes Can't Dance.  This show will travel to Bush Park in Salem.  It performs during Art Days the 3rd week of July.  I like this set.  I will have fun doing it.

My 3rd set is for 12 Resourceful Princesses.  It will perform at the Salem Library and at a coffee house in Salem.  It was challenging because I needed to design flats the folded out.  I really wanted to make them like a pop up book.  Sadly, there is no way I will have time for that.  Although I have some stock to pull from.  I will have to build most of it.  I have 4 weeks to build, paint, focus, etc.  I have 2 tech classes (ages 10-15) that meet for 40 minutes each and a few parent volunteers that will work on 2 nights a week.  It really isn't much time.  It's going to be a crazy couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, Chad is left to his own devices... not that I have a lot of say right now.  He stays in bed until 2 or 3... he makes the kitchen a mess... he lays on the couch and plays video games... and he exercises like crazy... at night.  I really don't get the teenage boy brain.

Friday, I got to go to the temple.  We missed doing a session with Montana, but we did get to take him to dinner.  :)

Well, that is what happened at our house this week.  Next week I'll report how Lillian and I survived our first week of CET, how the house survived without mom at home, and what Hannah has been up to.  This week she was at girl's camp, but she was only home for a couple minutes before she headed out the door for Grandma Mabee's house.

Comments

  1. Wowza! Quite the busy gal! Sorry the pop-up storybook idea didn't pan out. With a pro crew that would be A-mazing! Let me know what I can do to help. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see what I really turn out doing. Maybe I will amaze myself and get everything done with time to try my ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …