Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Study - Alma 56

Chapters 56-58 is a letter that Helaman sends to Moroni to inform him of his army’s activities. He informs Moroni that his army went to the city of Judea to assist Antipas. Apparently the Lamanites had had a lot of success in taking many of the cities in that area.


Helaman marches with his 2,000 young men past the Lamanite city of Antiparah as if they were taking provisions to a neighboring city. When the Lamanites see this small little army, they take the major part of the army in that city and pursue Helaman. In the meantime Antipus comes in behind the Lamanites and pursues them. Eventually Antipus catches the Lamanites and gives them battle. When Antipus is killed in the battle, the other Nephites start losing the battle. However, when Helaman discovers that the Lamanites are no longer pursuing them (though he doesn’t know the reason), he asks his 2,000 men what they should do. They want to go back and fight the Lamanites. Helaman said that never before had he ever seen such great courage. So they get there just in time. When the Lamanites see they are surrounded, they surrender and are sent to Zarahemla. None of the 2,000 are hurt.

I find this chapter crazy. I can just imagine these big scary Lamanite adults chasing the Deacons, Teachers, and Priest through the forest. They chased them all day and into the night, Helaman kept his little army moving in a straight line because turning would be dangerous.

I think this is a little like temptation. The Adversary does not stop. Wickedness does not need a rest. It keeps going. In fact, temptation follows you your whole life. It will never go away. If you turn right or turn left, it will overtake you and you will fall. You must stay on the “strait and narrow path”.

I am also impressed with Helaman’s little army for their courage. They had no fear. “Fear not, for the Lord is on your side.” That was their motto. I think it should be our motto too. They did not fear because they had faith. They were repentant. They were obedient in all things.

I have a few fears in my life… I fear I won’t get all these sets done… I fear I won’t be able to help my son… I fear for the financial future of my kids in this economy… I fear that wickedness will overtake us all. Today I will practice the faith, repentance and obedience that these young men practiced. They had to be tired after running all day and all night, but they didn’t stop. I think I’m off to a great start because I did scripture study first, before starting the craziness that it CET. I hope that will help me to be victorious.

What did you learn?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …