Sunday, August 5, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - Conference Talk

Today I read the talk by Bishop Richard C Edgley entitled The Rescue for Real Growth.

His was a reminder that we are all responsible "to reach out and rescue those who have been baptized yet are wandering in a less-active state, void of the blessings and saving ordinances."

This talk reminded me of a painful experience we had a few months ago.

my son has strayed from the gospel over the past 2 and half years.  Although it is difficult, I know we are doing the right thing by letting him make the choice for himself.  it is painful to have him make rude remarks about our faith and devotion.  It is more painful to know what his choosing to lose.

In an effort to give the Spirit an opportunity to reach his heart, I started having the missionaries over for lunch one day each week.  At first, I assigned Chad to be the cook on that day.  He started to develop good friendships with a few of the missionaries.  Eventually, the missionary he was most connected with was transferred.  We were all so sad.  Chad was the saddest.

The new set of missionaries did not connect with Chad.  They started making excuses for why they shouldn't be having lunch each week.  One day, one of the missionaries told my daughter that the missionaries had decided that since Chad would go to church he wasn't worth their time.

I cried.  Who do any of us think we are to decide that someone isn't worth the time and the effort to befriend and to continually invite to the gospel of Jesus Christ?

I have to admit, I wrote a letter to the Bishop.  I didn't want to feed missionaries or invite my friends to talk to the missionaries when the missionaries might just decide that my loved ones aren't worth their time? 

"The worth of souls is great in the sight of God."

Everyone is worth the effort... worth being a friend to... worth inviting... work praying for... worth being loyal to... worth ever time and effort we put into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment