Monday, August 13, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - Helaman 11

Some great things strike me in this chapter. 

First, Nephi was willing to sacrifice his own comfort for the benefit of others. He asked the Lord to allow a famine in the land- and there was according to his words. For three years there was a famine and the people suffered, and so must have Nephi. But, because of his love for his brethren, and his desire to see them converted, he was willing to suffer along side of them.

Notice how he never left. They knew exactly where to find him after those three years. I think that is a beautiful and unselfish sacrifice. One that paid off, for they turned back to him and back to God.

The next thing that caught my attention was in verse 23, where it states that Nephi and Lehi knew the true points of doctrine through daily revelations.

One of my favorite quotes is my Joseph F. Smith: " As a boy I would frequently go out and ask the Lord to show me some marvelous thing, in order that I might receive a testimony. But the Lord withheld marvels from me, and showed me the truth, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little, until he made know the truth from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, and until doubt and fear had been absolutely purged from me...by the Spirit of the living God, he gave to me the testimony I possess."

Daily effort.  A testimony takes daily effort.
Nephi and Lehi and the others didn't gain their testimony and strength through miracles. It was through the daily inspiration from the Holy Ghost that came from obedience.

I can't think of a time i didn't have a testimony... although there a few times when it has been shaken... but the truth is that my testimony is strengthened the greatest as I do things every day: reading scriptures, reading Conference talks, prayer, serving, teaching my family.
How grateful am I for the small pieces that make me whole.

What did you think/learn today?

No comments:

Post a Comment