Saturday, August 25, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - Helaman 16

And they began to depend on their strength and upon their own wisdom... Gah! I always fall into that trap!


If I am struggling in a subject, I would be wise and even successful if I hire a tutor. I had to get a tutor to pass my “math” credits in college. Math is not my thing. If I struggle and do not seek higher help, my struggles will not cease. It’s more like continuing to hit my head against the wall.

God is our higher help. He knows the truth and the way. He can give us strength and knowledge, faith and wisdom that is beyond ourselves.

Not only did the people depend on their own wisdom, but their wisdom was WAY off! In verse 22 it says "and they were much disturbed." So true. The scary thing is that I hear the same words being spoken today about the condition of our world as it approaches the Last Days.

The physical calamities, the state of politics, nations and wars: all of which have been prophesied for thousands of years. We know that it's coming, the Second Coming of the Lord. But, there are those who say that it is coincidence, that the earthquakes, wars, tsunamis, famines, etc have nothing to do with scripture or prophecy.

But we know the truth.

It was also interesting to note the difference between the path of believers and those that didn't believe.

The believers in verses 1, 4, 5, 14:

1. They heard
2. They believed
3. They sought someone holding the priesthood
4. They repented
5. They were baptized
6. They were taught
7. They saw signs and wonders
8. They experienced miracles
9. They looked forward to the coming of Christ
10. Angels appeared unto some of them

The unbelievers in verses 2, 15, 22 and 23:

1. They heard
2. They did not believe
3. They were angry
4. They tried to kill Samuel
5. Their hears were hardened
6. They depended on their own wisdom
7. They were much disturbed
8. Satan had a great hold upon their hearts

So, what company do we want to keep? And it all starts with believing.

What did you think/learn today?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful that my daughters have you as their seminary teacher. As we read the Old Testament as a family, we are constantly finding comparisons to what they do and what we do, or should be doing or NOT doing! Who's on the Lord side, who? Eh? Thanks for the food for thought!

    ReplyDelete