Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Study - 3 Nephi 11

A few things that caught my eye in this chapter:




1. It was the people who were at the temple that were blessed to see the Savior first. When we go to the temple we bring ourselves closer to the Savior. For them, it was a very literal and real 'closer.'

2. The spirit is small, yet has the greatest power to reach the soul.  I can think of few things more powerful.

3. V 5- 'and they did open their ears to hear it.' How many times has Heavenly Father spoken to me that I didn't hear... or was it "wouldn't hear? Not because of Him, but because of my inability, or unwillingness, to hear? I need to open my ears to what He has to say to me more.  I need to practice turning my "eyes toward the heavens" and to "look steadfastly" for the answers He is sending me.

4. We only have a handful of recorded times where Heavenly Father Himself speaks directly to His children- and most of those is introducing the Savior. Here is another time where He speaks. He is pleased with His Son, and commands them to hear Him. Now that their ears were opened, they could.

5. What a great act of compassion and unconditional love!  How kind it was for the Savior to allow the people to touch Him so that they could know He was the God of Israel. Most of the time we are required to live by faith, but we are also given opportunities to increase our knowledge. Granted- for most of us it won't be this tangible, but we can receive knowledge by the Spirit and it can be just as real and testimony building.

6. The Saviors first words were testifying of Prophets (remember, these people were spared because they didn't kill or harm the prophets, so there was already a level of respect), the Atonement and Heavenly Father.

7. The first order of business He conducted (after introductions) was bestowing the Priesthood so that Nephi and others He chose could baptize.

8. The first thing He taught was the proper way to baptize. There is great significance in that.The people already had faith, and they had repented. Baptism comes next. But- it must be done with the proper authority and in the correct way. It is THAT important. It it the gate by which all other ordinances are obtained. Once that was established, the Savior could move onto other things.

9. Vs 27 speaks of how the Savior, the Father and the Holy Ghost are one. They are not the same being, but they are one in purpose and action. Much like a choir. There are baritones, tenors, altos, sopranos- each singing different parts to create beautiful music- together they make ONE choir.

10. Ah, verse 29- contention is of the devil! Does that mean all contention? Like when I get frustrated with my kids? I'm afraid so. I need to protect my heart from the influences of the adversary in that regard. I am not tempted to sin in other ways: I don't struggle with robbing banks, murdering, lying, etc. But, I am impatient, and that often leads to being short with my kids. I need to master the art of raising my children with firm consistency, not frustration.

11. I love verse 32: the Godhead supports one another. I think that is very touching.

12. The Savior is very clear about His doctrine (vv 31-39) Repent and be baptized and be humble, like a child. If you don't, you cannot inherit the kingdom of God. That is His whole purpose, the entirety of the Atonement, to provide us the opportunity to be saved. And it hinges upon OUR choice to follow Him.

The Savior loves us- He love me. This chapter, to me, really makes clear His love for us, but also His priorities and His purpose. He wants us to know Him, Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost. He wants us to be humble, repent and be baptized. He wants us to inherit all the is prepared for us. He shows us the way.

And it is up to us to follow Him. The ball is on our court. What are we going to do with it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …