Skip to main content

Clean Eating Report

So... I've now been attempting to begin the process of "clean eating" for the past week and a half.  It is a processes.  I hate wasted food, so it is taking me a couple weeks to use up all the less-than-healthy food in my house.  I have succeeded in only buying the healthy stuff since I decided to try something new.  The rest of the family is co-operating... for the most part.  Here are most successful food adventures of for the past week and a half:

I came home from my experience with the Chinese medicine doctor and made this Corn Salad.  I used 1 c. yellow corn, 1 c. white corn, 2 tomatoes from my garden chopped small, 1 cucumber from my garden chopped small, 1 small zucchini from my garden chopped small, 1/2 of a red onion chopped small, 1 bunch of cilantro chopped small, 1/2 t. of Taco seasoning, 1/2 garlic powder, 2 T lime juice, 2 T. red wine vinegar, and black pepper to taste, and topped it with sliced avocado.  I then served it with corn chips.  I had them in the cupboard.   Next time I make this I will get chips from a health food store.

Saturday, September 15, I made homemade pizzas.  I used GF pizza rounds I found in the freezer section of the grocery store.  I put 2 T of tomato paste on the round and topped it with spinach from my garden, fresh tomatoes from my garden, green peppers from my garden onions, zucchini from my garden, and raw feta cheese.  You can't get much cleaner that that!  All that fresh garden stuff.  I had turkey sausage, turkey pepperoni and olives for the rest of the family.  It was a big hit!  A "most repeat" experiment.

Sunday, September 16 I made Greek Chicken and green beans and acorn squash from my garden.  For the chicken I combine 2 T lemon juice, 1 t. oregano, 1/2 t. garlic salt, 2 t olive oil and poured it over the chicken.  I let it marinade for 4 hours.  Then I browned the sides before I made pockets of chicken, tomato slices, Kalamata olives and raw feta cheese.  I baked it at 350 for about 50 minutes.  I steamed the green beans and the squash.  They were real yummy with just a sprinkle of black pepper.  John said I should repeat this one too. 

Monday, September 17 I made Carne Asada.  I combine flank steak, 1/3 c. white vinegar, 4 T GF soy sauce, 4 cloves garlic, 2 T. lime juice, 1/2 c. olive oil, 1 t. salt, black pepper, and white pepper, 1 t. each of chili powder, oregano, cumin, and paprika, 1 c. chopped onion and 1/2 bunch of chopped cilantro.  I marinated it for 4 hours.  I then grilled it in the oven.  I made more of the corn salad that was a winner.  I sliced the beef thin and served it over a bed of salad greens, 1 c,. of the corn salad and a few corn chips.  Winner!  John wants this one again too.  And bonus... this beef didn't seem to hurt my tummy.

Tuesday, September 18 I made grilled Salmon with a summer squash and carrot stir fry.  I put dill, thyme, salt and pepper on the Salmon.  I chopped zucchini and summer squash from the garden.  I added carrot matchsticks and sauteed it in olive oil.  I loved it.  Kids won't eat fish.  They don't know what they are missing.
Wednesday, September 19 we made Turkey Burgers.  I have to admit I cheat here.  I found a spiced turkey burger in the freezer section of the store.  it saves me a ton of time.  I had a GF hamburger bun.  Sure glad Udi makes those.  We had tomatoes and lettuce from the garden too.  I so made the family a pasta salad to go with the meal.  I needed to use it out of the cupboard.  :)
About the "cleanest" eating I did on Thursday, September 20 was the squash from the garden.  Remember, I'm still trying get the food out of the cupboard that might not be so "clean".  I can't waste it!  Children are starving in other parts of the world.  LOL.  I use Rosemary on this squash.  It was tasty!
Friday, September 21 I tried a seeded YELLOW watermelon my friend brought.  She got it at an organic co-op market in Corvallis.  It was great!  My kids thought it was weird.  I liked it.  She also brought Kiwi Berries.  Yummy!  I might have to find this store and find time to go!  Sadly, I didn't take a picture.  That night we went to Thai food.  It might not be the "cleanest" eating, but it was yummy.  I had a garden roll and Green Curry.  I love to make this dish.  The restaurant we tried was not my favorite.  They use egg plant (yuck!) in their Curry.  I prefer the Thai restaurant in Independence.  Now I do recommend that.  I was good and only ate 1/2 of the serving and took the rest home.  Someone else ate it for lunch the next day.  I'm not sure who... it was hot.  The kind of HOT that only I will eat. hehehe.
Saturday, September 22 I made Broccoli Beef... only with out much broccoli, so I eventually called it Clean-out-the fridge Beef.  I had beef bits from the steak dish earlier in the week.  I had some Napa cabbage, carrot match sticks, mushrooms and green peppers.  I was brave and even made my own sauce with potato starch, GF soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic.  Because I was making it up as I went, I didn't write anything down.  Too bad.  It was the best stir fry I've made.

Sunday, September 23, I made Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans and salad... well Hannah helped.  We put 2 T thyme, 1/4 c. natural maple syrup, 1/2 apple cider vinegar, 2 T Dijon mustard on the pork and baked it.  The sweet potatoes were good with just a little pepper.  We steamed the Green beans from the garden.  The salad was plain salad greens, green peppers from the garden, a little cilantro, tomatoes from the garden and then we gave the family a choice of salad dressings.  It was pretty good.

So there is my first attempt at clean eating.  I will report next week how things go. 

Comments

  1. These all look SO yummy! So glad that you are finding good things to make eating a little easier and a little more fun!
    Remind me we have more tomatoes for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …