Skip to main content

Dear Mr. Harry Reid

Dear Mr. Reid,


Today, I must confess that I am not in a good mood. I blame the political environment.

Let me explain.

Today, as I drove my kids to the High School radio station after radio station was talking about Harry Reid and his opinions of Mitt Romney.

I don’t normally get into politics, but today I’d like to remind you, Mr. Reid, that we are all the “face of Mormonism” – you are, Romney is, I am. Everything we do and say somehow reflects what we believe and what we practice.

Matt.5:14-16 “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candle stick, and it giveth light until all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good work and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.”

You, Mr. Reid reportedly believes that Mitt Romney is not the face of Mormonism. What exactly does that mean? I can see from many examples how Romney’s exercise of his religion. I can’t say I know much about you, Mr. Reid, or what it is that would qualifies you to speak on what is and what is not a valid practice of our supposedly common faith.

I am not claiming whom I support in the political arena. Frankly, I have lost faith in our process. Democracy is quickly dying. You, Mr. Reid is the perfect example.

For those who see Mormonism itself as a barrier to support, it would be good to remember that we are electing a Commander in Chief, not a Theologian in Chief. We do not have to agree with every element of the new President’s faith. Even in the evangelical protestant religious community there are differences between groups like the Baptists and Pentecostals… differences between Protestants and Catholics. Religious differences are a fact of life and a very few people will be able to vote for the candidate who sits under the ministry of the same church. So, what are we to do?

My point is that we all need to carefully consider what we want in a President. I would think we should start with a man (or woman, someday perhaps) of character. If the person holding the highest office in the land does not have personal character, nothing he promises or attempts to do can be relied upon. Experience and wisdom are two other characteristics essential in the leader of the free world. The current administration has shown that without them, everything just falls apart. The presidency is not a place for on the job training.

Getting back to your comment about Romney not being a good representative of his faith – how do his actions reflect on Mormons in general? As a Mormon I hope to have a reputation for a squeaky clean morality. In spite of attempts to destroy the man and his credibility, I feel that Romney’s life stands as an example for all to emulate. He is well known to be a faithful husband and loving father to his family. That is seems to be a cut above many currently in Washington. Numerous people have come forward with stories of how Romney and his family have personally helped people, both individually and as a representative of his church. I want to be known for the same thing.

Romney’s traditional family life, may, to the Democrats, be a disqualifying factor. However, for most productive Americans, these are desirable qualities.

He is a successful business man, something else that makes him suspect to the current political arena. In an honest evaluation, there is nothing here that would seem to make him a questionable representative of his church… unless one were working with an alternate value system – a value system that permits you to spread false stories about a political enemies tax returns, and continuously lie to the public about legislation along with the president’s actions and motives, while refusing to permit the Senate to perform its basic duties, like pass a budget.

Those who want to see negative, will always find something whine about. While we may not all be in complete agreement with every one of Romney’s policies, it is hard to argue that his is not a good, moral man. Yet this is exactly what you, Harry Reid is doing when you say Romney is not the face of Mormonism. Frankly, if he were, it would be a good face. Should you, Harry Reid, be the face, the church would be worthy of all the negative images people have in the back of their minds. Fortunately for the LDS church, you are is not no more the face of the church than Romney, yet Romney gives a strong main stream image to the world. He would also make a good image to the rest of the world for our country.

So again, Mr. Reid. may I remind you that we are all the face of Mormonism. Bitter accusations are not doing you, the country, or your faith any good.

As for my own action… I have been reminded that my own actions and my words must reflect my testimony of Jesus Christ, the Son of God and the Savior of the World. I must work to help those in need. I most work to preserve freedom and choice and justice. I must work to make a stronger family and to build the families of other. Most of all, I need to work hard to put God first and to let His light shine through me to testify of His goodness and glory.

Please Mr. Reid… consider joining me.

A Fellow Mormon.

Comments

  1. We do not have to agree with every element of the new President’s faith. ...best wording EVER.."new president" :o)
    A-men, and a-men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JO - LOL... I didn't even register that I phrased it that way. Well... a person can dream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …