Skip to main content

More policitcal rants

I orginally wrote this paragraph in my previous post.  However, my husband pointed out that it  didn't really fit there.  Thus I rant in a new post.

I'd like to know why so many believe the government should be the ultimate provider of everything we need.  

Personally, I believe that we need a smaller government.  Help for others still needs to happen, but it needs to happen because we truly care for others not because it is mandated. 

Yes, everyone deserves to eat.  However, please explain to me why my taxpaying, community volunteering family eats peanut butter and jelly and the person in line in front of me at the grocery store, who I know personally and who I know for a fact doesn’t make an effort to get a job buys steak, lobster, and fresh veggies courtesy of those who do pay (oh… that would be those evil rich people - those rich people). 

Yes, everyone deserve to have health care.  Could you please explain to me why I pay for insurance and I can’t get an appointment at Kaiser Permanente and if I could, I couldn’t afford my co-pay and the person on Welfare can get all the health care and dental they need… free… oh and my health insurance is more expensive each year.  Can you explain why I haven’t been to the dentist in years because I can’t afford it, even with insurance? 

Still… I believe that people need care so I give away my time, 1st aid supplies, oils etc on a weekly basis in order for people to feel better.  I give a snack to nearly every person I can when I see them on the corner. I feed multiple people a week who are not in my family.  Even better, I work to teach others to care for themselves and to contribute to the world.  I believe that is really caring for the poor.

So.... can anyone tell me what's so great about big government?  I ddin't think so.

Comments

  1. Amen to ALL of the above. Most of all, thank you for caring for me as you do. I care for you, too. Wish I had more talents to show you such care. Hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love and appreciate EVERYTHING you do for us. We would be lost without you and your precious gifts and PATIENCE that you continue to share with us. If we dont tell/show you enough, we will work harder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …