My favorite oil is PEPPERMINT. It is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, M.D., studied peppermint's effect on the liver and respiratory systems.
These are some of my favorite ways to uses peppermint iol:
1. Rubbing 4-6 drops in the palm and rubbing over stomach and around the navel to help relieve occasional indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea. Used this on Friday to help Hannah recover from a yucky tummy. She threw up on the way to Seminary. I sent her back in the house to use the peppermint. With in 2 hours she was able to handle school and had no more issues with feeling gross.
2. Adding a drop of Peppermint oil to herbal tea may help aid digestion and heartburn. I also had her drink this. Can't tell you how much it helps!
3. Massaging several drops of Peppermint oil on an area of injury may help to reduce tenderness. I used peppermint this way yesterday to help Chad's muscle recover from a race. He was very sore and peppermint and a little massage did the trick.
4. Applying Peppermint oil immediately to an injured area may be soothing.
5. Rubbing several drops of Peppermint oil on the bottoms of the feet may help lower high temperature, spritzing the body with peppermint water. This past spring I did this when I wasn't feeling good. I also use the spritz when I feel too hot.
6. Applying a drop of Peppermint oil topically on unbroken skin may help to stop itching. Lilli was bit by a nasty deer fly, or something like that, on her hike with her dad. I put peppermint on the bite and it stopped bugging her so she could sleep AND the swelling down.
7. For poison ivy or poison oak, applying Peppermint oil on location may help with irritation and be soothing. Thankfully, I haven't had to use it for this lately.
8. Inhaling Peppermint oil before and during a workout may help boost your mood and reduce fatigue. I've tried this. It did help. The walk on the treadmill wasn't nearly as dreadful!
9. Massaging several drops of Peppermint oil on the abdomen may help relieve nausea. This is one of my favorite ways to handle the motion sickness I feel on long drives.
10. Rubbing a drop of Peppermint oil on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (stay away from the eyes) and on the back of the neck may help in soothing head pressure. I did this for my friend Jo when she got a bad headache froma bad fall.
11. Applying a drop of Peppermint oil on each side of the fifth cervical vertebra (up three notches from the large vertebra at the base of the neck) may be beneficial in helping to stop hiccups. It's weird... but it works.
12. Placing two drops of Peppermint oil on the tongue and rubbing another drop under the nose may help improve alertness and concentration.
13. Diffusing Peppermint oil in the room while studying may help to improve concentration and accuracy. Inhaling Peppermint oil, when taking a test, may help in improving recall. It sure helps with home school!
14. Placing a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue and inhale into the nose and sinuses may help stuffiness. This definately works!
15. Add Peppermint oil to food as a flavoring and a preservative. Love it!
16. Mixing one 15 ml. bottle of Peppermint oil into a 5 gallon can of paint may dispel the fumes. This was a great idea. It works when I'm painting sets for a long period of time.
17. Adding 4-5 drops of Peppermint oil to 4oz. of water and spray on plants may help get rid of aphids. It helped my roses this past summer. I had far fewer bugs!
18. Drinking a drop of Peppermint oil mixed in a glass of cold water may help to cool off on a hot day. Better than ice cream!
19. Rubbing Peppermint oil on joints may be soothing. My joints often ache. This is the only way I can sleep some nights.
20. Inhaling the fragrance of Peppermint oil may help in curbing the appetite and lessen the impulse to overeat. I do this. I've got to do everything that helps!
21. Applying a drop of Peppermint oil on a cotton swab and swabbing the tick may help it removal. Wait for it to unhedge its head and remove from your pet. This worked! Lilli got a tick a few years ago and we got it to back most of the way out. Sadly, I killed it pushing it around and we still ended up at the doctor's office to get the last of the head out of her poor little arm.
22. Mixing Peppermint oil in a footbath may help relieve sore feet. Keep water agitated while soaking feet. Love this. In' fact, I may get up and do this as soon as I'm done writing this.
23. A drop or two on gum for toothache. It helped while I was waiting for a filling and after the filling too!