Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Study - Ether 6

In Ether 6, the Jaredites finally board the 8 small ships and make the 344 day journey to the promised land.


Verse 2- "...the Lord prepared the stones which the brother of Jared had carried up into the mount..."

Teamwork. The brother of Jared and the Lord worked together. I love when I feel I am truly working in concert with the Lord. I wish I felt like that more often.

I think sometimes it's easy to think of God and Jesus Christ as just hanging out in heaven, watching everything go by. But, they are actively, and physically, working for us. They want to help us, to guide us, and to work side by side with us as we achieve our shared goal: our eternal life. I also think it is me that distances myself from them. If only I took more advantage of the Lord’s desire to help me. LOL.

While the Lord is working on His side, he fully expects us to be working on our side: always actively engaged in a good cause, bettering ourselves and helping others, prioritizing our time and fulfilling our duties, and seeking Him for guidance. Our work and efforts, if righteous, will be consecrated for our good. So… there’s my problem. LOL.

This chapter is awesome. There is much symbolism in this chapter between their journey to the promised land and our journey to The Promised Land (celestial glory and exaltation).

Jaredite Journey:

Ether 6:4 - The Brother of Jared and his people did all they could do to prepare for their journey to the promised land. Their efforts qualified them to receive help from the Lord.

Our Journey:

2 Nephi 24:23- “It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”

Jaredite Journey:

Ether 6:5 - Jaredites were moved through the waters by the power of God.

Our Journey:

We cannot gain heaven by ourselves; we must have the power of God to help move us along our journey.

Jaredtie Journey:

Ether 6:5-6- The Jaredites had to pass through the water to reach the promised land.

Our Journey:

2 Nephi 9:23 - we must pass through the waters of baptism to attain celestial glory.

Jaredite journey:

Ether 6:9 - The Jaredites did sing and praise God continually.

Our Journey:

D&C 59:21 - One very important character trait that we must possess is that of gratitude to God. It is a fact that gratitude not only makes our journey bearable, but also enjoyable.

Jaredite Journey:

Ether 3:6- Jaredites needed light provided by the lord to complete their journey safely.

Our Journey:

We must have the “light” of Christ in our life if we are to safely and successfully complete our journey.

This journey is not easy. Ask Jared and his family, as they were tossed in the deep of the sea.

But, they had eternal perspective.

When we are thrashed about in the waves of life, can we do that, too? Can I?

I hope so.

So… here is the challenge… find joy and express gratitude today for whatever this day will bring - let the light of the gospel guide your path today; strengthen your testimony of the Book of Mormon by sharing it today with someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …