Saturday, October 6, 2012

Clean Eating Report - 2

It's been a couple weeks and I'd better catch up with reporting how clean eating is going.  I also have promised to share how I made my Pumpkin/butternut squash Soup.  Here it is for all you eager fans... First, I cooked 1 yellow onion, chopped, 2 tsp garlic, minced, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, 2 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp coriander and a pinch of cayenne pepper in 3 tbsp of olive oil.  Meanwhile, I chopped and peeled a butternut squash and boiled it until tender.  Then I drained it. I added a can of pumpkin puree 3 cups chicken broth, a can of coconut milk and1/2 cup brown sugar.  I brought all of that to a boil. I then turned it down and let it simmer for 15 minutes.  Finally, I added the butternut squash.  I let it cool before we ate it.  It was yummy.  I even put some in the freezer for a future day.  Too bad it fell out and the bowl broke and so we didn't get to eat it another day. 
Tuesday we made a nice Thai chicken... or rather Ray made it for us.  He is a great cook.  He was able to make a sauce that was able to comply with all the added problems in my diet.  We also enjoyed green beans and salad things from my garden.

Wednesday we fed the missionaries.  We made them Frogmoore Stew.  We learned this great meal for Myles!  Thanks Myles.  I boiled the potatoes and the sausages in the water with the spice, but I forgot to buy corn.  After we dumped the meal in the middle of the table and showed the missionaries how this was going to be a utensil free meal I added green peppers from the garden.  I also gave them sugar free jello.  It was messy and fun!

Thursday I made Steak Roulades with Spinach and Feta and served it with green beans and acorn squash from the garden.  I preheated the oven to 350.  Then I cut flank steak to make it thin.  I combine 2 tbsp of pesto, 1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes, chopped, 2 cups of spinach, 1/4 cup feta and 2 tbsp of olive oil.  I spread the mixture on the meat pieces, rolled them tight and tied them off.  I baked them for 1 hour. 

Friday John and I went to a Mexican restaurant.  We shared chicken fajitas.  It's amazing how much food you are given at a restaurant!  We were full with just one entree.  After stuffing our faces we went and saw Spiderman.  I really liked that movie.

Saturday I spent a ton of time at the high school.  I took a salad in the jar for lunch.  I love this trick.  It's a great way to travel.  Dressing at the bottom... hard veggies next.... with lettuce on top.  It's a great way to travel.

Sunday we made Stuffed Green Pepper with peppers from our garden.  I wanted to have a Greek flavor, so I made it all up as I went.  I stared with rice and added some turkey sausage.  I added cinnamon, nut meg, crasins, onions and coriander.  We stuffed the peppers and added a little feta cheese.  They turned out great!

Monday I got a Jamba Juice.  Chad demands Jamba Juice several times a week.  This trip into Salem I decided I wanted a little Jamba for myself.  I got a Berry Upbeat.  Although, I have to admit I tasted the seasonal Pumpkin Harvest smoothie.  Not good for me, but oh... so delicious!!!

Tuesday I used tomatoes from the garden and made spaghetti sauce from scratch.  I intended to serve it with spaghetti squash.  However, I got home late and John already made rice pasta for me and regular noodles for everyone else...

... but Wednesday, I added zucchini from the garden, fresh mushrooms, and chicken to the leftovers sauce and turned it into Chicken Spaghetti.  This time Chad helped me cook the spaghetti squash.  We ate that instead of noodles.  Turned out good.l  Too bad the family didn't really act interested.  Bums!

Thursday I was helping at the high school again.  Kimber was kind enough to make terriaki chicken.  Good thing I taught her how to cook and good thing she is willing to come to my house to help on my busy days.

Friday I went back to Portland to visit the Chinese acupuncture doctor.  This time I learned that I need to avoid sugar... especially sugar that has been processed and refined.  That's tough!  It's in everything!  On the way home, I stopped at the health food store and checked out all the things I could have.  I did find many items that would help me feel like I could still have treats, but it will be spendy!  I also have been craving salty things since I started this pin cushion thing.  I found these chips at the health food store.  Not bad...

Today was a long day at the high school... marathon day for the play.  John was nice enough to make me a bunch of Thai Salad Rolls so that I could have something I could eat while walking around working.  Thank heavens I have a supportive husband in this whole eating thing.  I was too tired last night to really care about being prepared for my long day.  Thanks to him, I was able to eat healthy things all day long.

Hope it's a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment