Skip to main content

clean living report

The past two weeks haven't been the best with eating.... but I am still making progress.  See... people think that they should bring me treats and I can't say no... ;)  I have found some great products and great recipes though.  For example, I like these tortillas I found at Market of Choice.  They are gluten free but the actually roll!  I've never gotten a regular corn tortilla to roll nice.

These first two days I ate the same thing... no one else seemed interested.  I found a nice recipe Corn, Chayote, and Green Chile Burritos.  I sauteed 1 small onion, 1 small chayote cubed, 2 cloves of garlic chopped, 1 cup of frozen corn, 1/3 cup of canned black beans 1 Tbs. diced green chilies, 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro.  I spooned it into the tortilla and sprinkled a little feta cheese and rolled it up and enjoyed!

The next day I tried Dragon Fruit.  I have to say I wasn't a big fan.  I like Kiwi better.  I guess Dragon Fruit looks like a white Kiwi, but it's blander.  The kids definitely didn't like it.  Guess I won't spring for that again.

Next, I tried a new recipe... Crunchy Green Tahini Salad.  First, who knew that there was some peanut butter-like spread made from sesame seeds?  The clerks at my local store are awesome and helped me find all the weird ingredients I was looking for.  I thinly sliced kale.  Then I blended 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 Tbs. Tahini. 2 Tbs. Braggs Liquid Aminos, 3 chopped garlic cloves and 1/4 tsp honey.  I tossed it all together with 1 cup chopped mint, 1 cup grated carrots, 1/4 cup crasens, 1/2 cup slivered almonds, 1 chopped up orange, and 1/2 cup feta cheese.  It was so yummy!  I think this is a repeat salad.

We went out to eat to a Thai restaurant.  Normally, I order Green Curry.  I decided to be better about calories and chose Thia Basil Chicken and Salad rolls instead.  It was yummy.  It also lasted two meals.  We got to-go boxes and had lunch for the next day go-to-go.  Now that is smart.  :)

Treats are to come by.  To be honest, I've not been that good these past couple of weeks.  People love to give me chocolate.  My VT gave me chocolate... I have been eating it one square at a time... but I'm eating it.  And John got me York mints and chocolate covered ginger.  At least the chocolate covered ginger is a little bit good for me.  LOL.  I know.... it's a stretch.  But I promise to be better next week.  NO SUGAR... at all... after I finish my last square.

I also tried a new rice salad... Wild Rice Salad.  I combine 2 cups of cooked brown rice (because I didn't have wild rice), 1/2 cup crasens, 1/2 cup feta cheese, 4 Tbs, chopped mint, 2 Tbs red wine vinegar, 4 Tbs olive oil.  It was pretty good.  Not every one's favorite.  but I will try it again.  I served it with baked chicken and it was pretty good.

I also made a yummy Citrus Black Bean Soup.  4 cups dried black beans... 2 1/2 quarts (10 cups) water...
2-3 fresh sprigs oregano, or 1 Tbsp dried... 3 bay leaves... 6 small or 3 large sage leaves... 2 teaspoons salt... 4 Tbsp olive oil... 2 yellow onions, chopped... 2 chopped peppers – bell pepper, Anaheim, or jalapeño (your choice, depending on taste for heat), seeds, stems and ribs discarded... 6 cloves crushed garlic... 2 Tbsp Ancho red chili sauce, or chili powder... 1-2 teaspoons of puréed chipotle in adobo, chipotle Tabasco, or chipotle powder (to taste)... 1 Tbsp cumin, (crushed whole toasted cumin seed is best, if possible)... 3 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate or 1/2 cup fresh orange juice ... Juice of 1 lime...
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar... Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

1 Prepare the beans. Rinse and sort the beans, discarding any stones or shriveled beans. You can soak the beans overnight in cold water (cover with several inches of water) OR pour enough boiling water over them to cover by a few inches and soak them for an hour OR skip the pre-soaking step. Soaking will speed up the cooking process. If you soak, discard the soaking liquid after soaking.

2 Add beans to a large pot with 2 1/2 quarts (10 cups) of water. Add oregano, bay leaves, and sage. Bring the beans to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the beans are soft, but not quite done. The time will vary depending on how large, dry, or old your beans are, and if you have pre-soaked them, from anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half.

3 While the beans are cooking, sauté onions and peppers in olive oil until soft. Add chili sauce, chili powder, and/or chili purée, cumin, and garlic. Sauté until spices are fragrant.

4 Fish out and discard the bay leaves, stems of oregano, and sage leaves from the pot of beans. Remove, but reserve, extra cooking liquid until there is about 1/2-inch of liquid above beans.

5 Add the onion mixture and salt to the pot of beans. Cook another hour or so until thickened. Add reserved liquid if needed.

6 Add half of the orange juice, and simmer. Adjust chili heat at this point – you may or may not want to add more of your chili paste. Just before serving, add remaining orange juice, lime juice, and vinegar. Salt to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
 
I also made that corn salad I made a few weeks back.  It's yummy and nearly all the family likes it... white and yellow corn, green peppers from the garden, cilantro, black beans, and taco spice... I also made a yummy egg dish to go with...

Fluffy Mexican Frittata... I whipped 8 eggs with raw cheese and poured it over chopped onions, green pepper, green chilies, salt and pepper.  I baked it in the oven.  It was surprisingly good.  I think everyone that ate it liked it.

I was super busy on Wednesday night with a choir concert.  I was too tired for make dinner when I got home, so my nice husband made me dinner... He sauteed chicken in peanut sauce and put it with rice and spinach.  It wasn't half bad.

Thursday I made a simple dinner of pork chops, baked potatoes and green salad.  It's not my favorite.  I've never really been a "meat and potatoes" kind of person.

Yesterday I wasn't in the mood for what I had planned on the menu.  I wanted pizzas.  But I have so many complications.  my sweet husband found a GF pizza crust and feta cheese in the house and then went to the store for spinach, turkey sausage, turkey pepperoni, and sauce.  He chopped up veggies from the garden too.  It hit the spot as we enjoyed the pizza and a movie at home.  Thanks honey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …