Monday, December 10, 2012

Book of Mormon Study - My Perfect Successful Failure

Well... I've done it.  I have finished reading the Book of Mormon once again.  It is a bitter sweet moment.

I started this reading project hoping to strike up conversations with other regarding the reading.  I serve as a Seminary teacher and I serve in Primary on Sundays.  I rarely have the opportunity to chat with adults about spiritual things.  I ask people I serve with, friends and family members if they would join me in reading the Book of Mormon and participate in a dialog about we were reading.  Many said they would give it a shot.  I looked forward to adult interaction.... even if it was only through messages.  I love the scriptures and so miss a good dialog about what they teach.

I thought it would be easy because Sunday School was reading and studying the Book of Mormon.  For the most part I was keeping on schedule, if not just a little ahead of the Sunday reading schedule.

Failure.

I didn't get many comments.  In fact, I'd mostly see 3-5 hits on each blog. Comments were even more rare.  I didn't get what I longed for... conversation and interaction.

But this little experience was a success.  I started reading the Book of Mormon with purpose... to read with my grandson in mind.  I marked things and made notes for him... things that I would want him to remember or to understand better.  My blogs became "love" letter to him... telling him of my testimony of Christ, my feelings for the scriptures and explanations that I felt inspired to share with him.

Now I'm done.  I started before he was born and now was I read I see his cute little smiling face.  I decided to print it all and save it for him until he is 12.  On the day he gets the priesthood I will give him this book and tell him how much I Love him and his parents.


I know I've shared it before, but I can’t help myself.  How can I help from singing, baring testimony of the most important thing in my life?  This is what I have come to understand:   God lives and loves us.   I have been occasionally blessed with a small fraction of His love for each of you.  These experiences have my knowledge of love and concern for each of individually secure.   I know that Jesus is the Christ.  I know that what he did in scarcely more than three decades of mortal life was not just chance.  He choice to do what he did.  He is no ordinary man.  He is my Teacher, my Exemplar, and my friend.  I believe that through Him there is life, life eternal.  I believe that He brought the gospel of Salvation to the World and the World understood it not.  He is God’s Almighty Son doing the work of his Father. He ransoms my soul. He is the Prince of Peace. He is the Only Begotten of the Father.  He is both God and the Son of God. He is Wonderful, Councilor, and Everlasting Father and through Him I find peace, hope, comfort and joy. No mortal standards can measure his stature and greatness.  He is the promised Messiah.  He is my Savior.

I know that Joseph Smith is His Prophet in this dispensation.  I have been greatly blessed in my testimony of Joseph.  I know that the words of John Taylor ring true.  Next to the Savior, no one has done more for man kind than Joseph Smith. I know that he served well and was the instrument through which our Heavenly Father and the Savior restored the gospel in these later days.  

All Prophets plead for us to come unto Christ.  That message will strike us individually, causing each of us to make a small change here and there, bringing us to one with Him. 

I believe the Bible to be the word of God.  I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  I know that through reading, studying and ponder the words of the Book of Mormon I can draw closer to my Heavenly Father and to the Savior.  I know of no other book that has the ability to speak to me, through the power of the spirit, as does the Book of Mormon.  I also believe in modern revelation because I don't believe our Heavenly Father would leave us alone. 

I often thank God for prayer and answers to prayer and for revelation.  I believe that only true way to know how to understand is through prayer and personal revelation.

I have learned that the Savior needs to deliver his message.  He needs us to assist him in lifting the weary and the down-trodden.  I have learned that we are vital to the process and must prepare ourselves to hear and then to follow so that we too can feel his love.  I have learned that He is aware of our every need and that He indeed knows and loves each of us as individuals.  I have learned that His love is beyond description. After make covenants through the ordinances of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the greatest thing we can gather on this earth is love of God and love of His children through obedience, faith, hope, and endurance.


So although my heart is sad that I couldn't get anyone to join me in a discussion of the scriptures I love, I did create something of great value for a little boy I love.

I will do it again and again.  I can't think of a more important gift for my posterity   However, I won't make the mistake of wanting or believing that I can achieve a dialogue with others.  I'm not sure I will blog again about the scriptures.... then again.  It was a great way to share a scripture journal tailored to one person I adore.

We'll see.

For now, I believe this was most successful failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment