Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gospel Study - Only Upon the Principles of Righteousness


Today I read Only Upon the Principles of Righteousness by Elder Larry Y. Wilson of the Seventy.

I appreciated that Elder Wilson reminded us that the right to use any God-given authority, which to me includes motherhood and any calling in the Church.  We must “lead by principles of righteousness.” 

Too often we feel as parents that we must “…compel someone to righteousness who can and should be exercising his or her own moral agency…”  That is hard to remember.  “We simply cannot force others to do the right thing.”

I have learned from experience that “compulsion builds resentment.  It conveys mistrust, and it makes people feel incompetent.  Learning opportunities are lost when controlling persons pridefully assume they have all the right answers for others.”

I suffer from this prideful parenting.  Sigh.

“Wise parents prepare their children to get along without them.”

Well I hope I am doing that.  There are days I wonder.  There are also days I dread the day that they won’t need me anymore.  Then, who will I be?  My whole identity is wrapped up in my identity of “mom”.

Well, I am most successful when I follow the council in  D&C 121:36-37 “only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned…” will I be able to teach my children to trust God.

Elder Wilson also warned us from waiting to let our children exercise their agency

“Our children are in our homes for a limited time. If we wait until they walk out the door to turn over to them the reins of their moral agency, we have waited too long.”

True words.

No comments:

Post a Comment