Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Gospel Study - The Vision of Prophets Regarding Relief Society...


I will be the first to admit I've never really enjoyed Relief Society.  Sister Beck’s talk, The Vision of Prophets Regarding Relief Society: Faith, Family, Relief, basically called me out.  

Time to repent.

I appreciated Sister Beck’s comment that “Just as the Lord’s prophets have continually taught elders and high priests their purposes and duties, they have shared their vision for the sisters of the Relief Society.” Too often we whine and complain about how little the prophets give the sisters direction – that usually they just pat us on the head and tell us we’re amazing. I need to remember that there is a lot more direction and instruction that we realize, and I think we’d be better off actually searching for that direction rather than whining about how little exists.
I need to remember that Relief Society is meant to “increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.”  Maybe I don’t like Relief society because I make it so complicated.  LOL.  Keep it simple… faith, family, help.  I can do that.

I have responsibilities here… “relieve the poor… expound the scriptures… share the gospel… engage in temple work… become more spiritually and temporally self-reliant.”

Not to mention that whenever our leaders discuss fulfilling priesthood responsibilities, they are talking to sisters as well. Not being ordained to the priesthood does not exempt us from our priesthood responsibilities. The Relief Society was organized after the pattern of the priesthood. Sister Beck has taught us that the Relief Society is our equivalent of a priesthood quorum, and we should treat it as such.

Sister Beck reminded us that, “Relief Society is not a program.” And it isn't  It’s a priesthood organization to which women belong, and we have sacred responsibilities as members of that organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment