Thursday, December 13, 2012

Gospel Study - Willing and Worthy to Serve


Today I read Willing and Worthy to Serve by President Thomas S. Monson.

I enjoyed the quotes President Monson shared from past presidents of the Church regarding the Priesthood, and I realized that I should really study their words more.
“when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right.”
I slept and dreamtThat life was joyI awoke and sawThat life was dutyI acted and beholdDuty was joy.
I loved that Pres Monson tied miracles to the priesthood--that miracles are everywhere when the priesthood is understood. When service replaces striving (love that phrase too!), we truly can see God's hand and His power in everything.

My most dear concern these days is how to teach duty and work to my children. Our culture avoids work and seeks out indolence. We are now a society of entitlements.  But duty is noble. I want to teach the willingness to serve that Pres. Monson so beautifully expressed.  Sadly, I think most days I fail.

"The priesthood is not so much a gift as it is a commission to serve, a privilege to lift, and an opportunity to bless the lives of others." It describes so beautifully what the priesthood means. 

What struck you from President Monson’s talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment