Saturday, January 5, 2013

Gospel Study - Conference Talk - I Know It. I Live It. I Love It.


Today I read Sister Ann M. Dibb’s talk “I Know It.  I live It. I Love It.

Who can forget this catchy phrase…. Or this talk?  It is definitely one that is easy to remember.

Sister Dibb’s taught that be able to boldly declare such a statement means, “We are followers of our Savior, Jesus Christ…  Such conversion and confidence is the result of diligent and deliberate effort.  It is individual.  It is a process of a lifetime.”

How fitting that this talk follows Elder Cook’s talk and being 100% committed.

“I Know It!”

Her questions definitely give reason to pause:  “do we have the strength, discipline, and commitment to remain focused on what matters most?  Are we as well versed in gospel truths as we are in our studies, careers, hobbies, sports, or our texts and tweets?  [Do I spend time] feasting on the scriptures and the teachings of the prophets?  [Do I] seek the confirmation of the Spirit?”

This, too, reminds me of Elder Cook’s talk… trading “good” things of the world for the “best” things of the gospel.

I, too, “[love] knowledge for its righteous power.”  This quote reminds me to continually learn everything I can.  I was thinking that one of the greatest gifts I hope to instill in my children is a love of learning… especially loving to learn about gospel principles and the Savior.

“I Live It”.

“We must be doers of the word, and not hearer only… by exercising faith, being obedient, lovingly serving others, and following our Savior’s example.”

Oh boy!  I am far from perfect.  I make more mistakes than I want to acknowledge.  I may not “Live It” perfectly, but I give it my best shot every day.  Every day I get up and start again.  How thankful I am that I can be forgiven and made clean again through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

I have to say I try.  This week “The Book of Mormon” musical is playing in Portland.  This is not a show that I will see.  I don’t need to sit through my core beliefs insulted for 3 hours.  However, I do have friends that are not LDS that went and loved the show.  They brought me a souvenir… a cup that says, “God loves Mormons too… and He wants more of them.”  I am not insulted by this statement.  It is true. My friend was apologetic as he gave me the cup.  I told him I appreciated the gift but that I hoped that my conduct proved that what I believe was not reflected by the content of the show.  To my relief, he smiled and said that he knew that the play did not truly reflect what I believe nor how I live.  What a HUGE relief!  For myself and for my church!

“I Love It.”

I love that Sister Dibb’s reminded me that love is a gift that comes through the Holy Ghost.  He helps me feel the Savior’s love for me.  He helps me know that God is mindful of me and of my worries and of my frustrations and of my sadness.

And this statement shocked me: “I need to refocus my efforts on increasing my gospel knowledge and living gospel principles more fully in my life.”  Hello!  It’s Sister Dibb!  The Prophet’s daughter!  Man… if she needs to refocus, I need to start over.

At least now I have one more motto to add to 2013:

What thinks Christ of me?
I Know It.  I live it.  I Love It.

No comments:

Post a Comment