Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gospel Study - Help Them Aim High

Today I repent.

It's been a couple of days since I last read a Conference Talk or made an effort in my personal gospel study.  I have studied for my seminary calling. However, I haven't made the extra effort to feed my soul for me.

It is time to get back on the wagon.  I read President Henry B. Eyring's talk Help Them aim High.

This talk struck me with deep meaning as I started Missionary Week at seminary.  I worry about these kids. I worry even more about my own kids.  Apathy is the mood of the day.  I long for them to catch the Gospel Fever and spread the gospel because they can't help it.   They love it that much.

I was inspired by President Eyrings's comment that he was able to accomplish great things because his teachers and leaders "saw things in [him] that [he] couldn't see."  That is how I feel about these kids.  I see great things in their futures.  If only they could see it too!

How can I help them?

President Eyring calmed my worried heart.  He promised that god would "bless [me] to help them recognize the spiritual gifts with which they were born.  Every person is different and has a different contribution to make.  No one is destined to fail."

Yes!

This includes my son!  I will hang on to that.  Some day.  Some day he "will be able to see, want, and believe [he] can achieve [his] full potential for service in God's kingdom."  I want to see that day.

I believe I can if I keep trying to follow this counsel   "Your habits of family prayer and scripture reading will create more lasting memories and greater changes of heart than you may realize now.  Even temporary activities, such as attending an athletic event or watching a movie, can shape a child's heart."

Focus on potential.  Focus on creating moments of awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment