Friday, January 11, 2013

Gospel Study - Of Regrets and Resolution


Today was busy.  I am not “wearing my business like a badge.”  I just get going on all kinds of good things and forget to breathe sometimes.  At least I took the time to read!

Today I read President Uchtdorf’s talk, Of Regrets and Resolutions.  I LOVE this talk!  It is so full of great gems.

He talked about some of the things that people seem to regret most when they are facing death.  He pointed out three major common regrets:

1)      I wish I had spent more time with the people I love.
2)      I wish I had lives up to my potential.
3)      I wish I had let myself be happier.

Number three is a great reminder… when days have set backs, or kids have bad attitudes, or days seem dark and frustrating.  This is a great reminder that I choose!  I choose how every situation effects me.

Because we make mistakes, most days will include something we regret saying or doing.  Even though it wasn’t a major focus of the talk, I feel it is important to apologizing, repenting, and carrying on minimal regret so that we’re not stockpiling regrets until the end.

I used to get caught up in “I’ll be happy when.”  I would wish for things to be different.  That never made anything better.  I had to see the good in the moment…. In the day.

Other GEMS I found were:

“By following the example of the Savior, by incorporating His teachings in our daily lives, by truly loving God and our fellowmen.”

“… good intentions are not enough.  We must DO!”

BE “… a living example of the restored gospel is better… being faithful to sacred covenants – including living a virtuous life, paying tithes and offerings, keeping the Word of Wisdom, and serving those in need… doing all these things STEADILY will bring heavenly blessings to our lives.”

“We determine our happiness.”

“It is not a race; it is a journey.”

“Life is not meant to be appreciate only in retrospect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment