Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gospel Study - See Others as They May Become

President Thomas S. Monson's talk See Others as They May Become touched me.

This week I am doing missionary week in seminary.  This morning we talked about how missionary work included helping those who struggle to gain or keep a testimony.  We talked about how everyone needed to feel needed, have a friends and be nourished by God's word.

Then I came home and read this talk.

"There is absolutely nothing in this world that will provide more comfort and happiness that a testimony of the truth... [we must] labor to keep it."

I see the truth in this every time I look at these students.  I see the truth in this every time I see my wayward son.

Today I taught my students that share their testimony was one of the strongest tools they have in sharing the gospel.  Baring testimony invites the holy ghost into a conversation giving Him a chance to touch hearts.

Everyone "needs to be told that we are amount to something, that we are capable and worthwhile.  We need to be given a chance to serve."

Everyone needs a chance... even if it looks like there is a snowballs chance in you-know-where that they will change.  People change.  I love the story President Monson shared about the prison warden.  I might even put the quote on my wall.  "I don't work with leopards.  I work with men, and men change."

I hold hope in that.

They will change when we "give them opportunities to live as they should... help them to overcome their shortcomings... and develop the capacity to see men not as they are at present but as they may become when they receive testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

I know my son has expressed that he feels judged for his choices, not loved despite them.  I , too, pray that we all will "develop the capacity to see men not as they are but as they can become..."

I will take courage.  Every time I am growled at I need to remember that.  Meanwhile, I need to remember to see all the way God sees them.  REMEMBER!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Wendy. I appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Busy Beez! It's nice to know someone is reading!

    ReplyDelete