Thursday, January 17, 2013

Gospel Study - What Shall a Man Give in Exchange for His Soul?


I don’t know how, but I let yesterday get away from me.  Today I got on my scripture study as soon as I got home from seminary.  I didn't want to get to the end of the day and know that I dropped the ball.  The talk I read totally supports this sentiment. 

“Would you sell your soul for a nickel?”

Today I read Elder Robert C. Gay’s talk, What Shall a Man Give in Exchange for his Soul?

Something really stood out with the contrast between the commandment-keeping young man who could not give up or let go of what the Lord asked of him to give verses King Lamoni’s father who knew that he could do anything asked of him so that he could have the peace that comes from doing what is right.  When you are truly converted, you  will be willing to make whatever changes necessary to feel the spirit of the Lord in your life.

I thought of the young man.  He was a good man who tried to make good choices.  He tried to do what was right.  I started thinking.  What things might be compared to what he was asked to give up?  Could it be socially accepted music, movies and TV shows that aren’t always “virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy”?  Could it be following all the counsel of living prophets and not only those that fit into our lifestyle?  Could it be the things in this life that kept us so busy we did not have time to serve others?  Maybe these are the things I need to sacrifice first.

Then I thought of King Lamoni’s father.  He is a hero!  He had a sincere desire to give up  everything and anything he had to in order to hold onto this peace he had finally found.  Why?  His former lifestyle could not hold a candle, so to speak, to this change in his heart.

The saying at the end also touched me. “My testimony is my most prized possession.”.  YES!  Yes, this is true.  I have to fight hard to keep it.  It didn’t come easily.  Gaining it was no walk in the park.  Keeping it is top priority.  So much in the world is covered in darkness or artificial light.  I need the REAL LIGHT.
It is my prayer that I will always have the courage of King Lamoni and be willing to GIVE UP and DO whatever I am asked to keep that testimony burning brightly.

“We are to give up all our sins, big or small, for the Father’s reward of eternal life.  We are to forget self-justifying stories, excuses, rationalizations, defense mechanisms, procrastinations, appearances, personal pride, judgmental thoughts, and doing things our way.  We are to separate ourselves from all worldliness and take upon us the image of God in our countenances.”  We are to “rise above…” “sins of commission and sins of omission.”

No comments:

Post a Comment