Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sound of Music Set Design


  Although I had been designing light for productions at Central High School, Sound of Music in February of 2009 was the first time I got brave and ask if I could design the set.

This stage was a cafetorium.  There was no fly loft.  There was no wing space.  There was no room for the band.

I came up with the idea to replace the leg curtains on the tracks with flat.  I used TV flats.  I taught my kids how to paint marble.  Seriously... building my sets has become a family affair.

 I was able to design, build, and paint the whole thing far cheaper than they had been able to do sets in the past.

This was the beginning of a beautiful friendship!  :)

Lighting in the cafeteria was interesting to say the least.  I had a total of 15 front lights and 20 overhead lights, including strip lights.  The light board was an old two scene/preset board.
 

 

Three of my daughter were in the show - 2 as nuns and odd characters here and there, and my youngest cast as Gretl.  My oldest daughter ran the light board and my son ran a follow spot.  It is great that I can "play" and the whole family comes along for the ride.


















1 comment:

  1. Your first set design, and my last high school production! Do you mind if I steal some of these photos?

    ReplyDelete