Skip to main content

Week at the Boyacks - Week 33

Monday came with a repair.  We haven't even begun rehearsing with the set and already things are breaking.  It serves me right.  I should have checked the castors before the kids flipped the set.  I just didn't take the time. While we were trying to paint the floor it got harder and harder to push the big set piece around.  Once I got on the floor I realized that 4 of the middle castors had fallen off.

Jeff and I crawled under the set while 20 kids held up the set and kept the set piece from crushing us.  Talk about trust. The rest of the week it all held up.  Thank heavens!  Of course, much of our time is consumed in rehearsals. The show opens soon.  There is so much work to do!

 At least the set is functional and all that is left is to paint the floor, hang a few lights and set light cues.
 I also tried harder to clean my house.  I clean it everyday and it never looks like I lift a finger.  This week I took a picture to prove that I actually get something done in my week.  Sadly, most of the people that live at my house don't see the beauty of a clean house.
 I also finished my set for Robert's play - Seusical the Musical.  Lillian and I went to the school and she helped me put it all together.  I looks awesome!  Now I just need to collect the money and pay down some bills.
I spent all day Saturday working out sound issues at for the play.  I have to say it turned out to be the smoothest sound tech I've ever run.  The band could hear the actors and the actors could hear the band!  Sweet!  Everyone is happy. I tried something new and moved the sound board to the center of house.  It really should be run from in the house.  But I haven't done it before because the auditorium is so new.  However, Saturday night I have to change it all for a surprise concert.  I had heard mentioned that a Gospel Choir was coming to perform, but no one had asked me to help out.  Then I learned that they had scheduled the performance on a tech day!  Hello!  What were they thinking?  I ask Jeff about it and he said that I shouldn't worry because he made them schedule it for 7 pm... long after tech and that they didn't need anything for us.  I was reading Facebook the next day and learned that it was to start at 5 - one hour after tech.  GRRR!  Tech finished and I realized everyone had disappeared and the choir was coming in and asking for all kinds of sound.  I struggled to carry all the equipment down the stairs while 30 people watched me.  All my sound levels were changed to accommodate the concert.  Hours of work were erased   By the end of the night I was very mad.  I can't believe that selfish people a) don't bother to ask for help and just assume I will make magic happen b) that people believe that sound tech is as easy as turning on a button and c) hours of work meant nothing.  Monday I had to start over with levels because nothing was as it was.  The singing was ok, but I've never been to a church service like that.  I really didn't enjoy any of it because I was so mad about the situation.  Oh.... and then I learned the school decided one more sports banquet was more important than the spring play.  Even though the spring play has been on the calendar all year it was cancelled because of sports.  I have a few choice words for that, but none of them should be said in the presence of children.


Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).

That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …