Monday, February 18, 2013

Gospel Study - The Joy of Redeeming the Dead

Today I read Elder Richard G. Scott's talk, The Joy of Redeeming the Dead.

Once upon a time I was very interested in Family History.  I chased around family records and put together my dad's side of the family to the best of my ability.  I collected stories from my grandparents, parents (they weren't very co-operative) and my living grandparents (also not very co-operative).  I searched for pictures. I also decided that keeping a journal was also a big part of connecting family, so I kept a journal of sorts off and on for years.

As I started having more children and less time, I dropped my dedicated search for ancestor and slowed down on taking the family names I have sitting in a drawer to the temple.

Hmm... this talk has given me reason to pause.

It may be time to dust off the records, family group sheets, and computer programs and see if I can clean up the mess of neglect on my family tree.

Today I went to Family Search and attempted to link the people I know I am related to.  I smiled when I realized that the work I had done years ago was right there on line!  I don't have to copy pedigree charts for distant cousins and stuff.  It is right there!  I don't have to copy family group sheets for my kids, they can get it for themselves... on-line!

"Those Saints who neglect it in behalf of their deceased relatives, do it at the peril of their own salvation."

I need to MAKE time once a week for search.

I need to MAKE time to take FAMILY to the temple.

"Decide to do something that will have eternal consequences."

"Begin NOW."

No comments:

Post a Comment