Skip to main content

Week at the Boyack's - Weeks 43 and 44

I'm so excited!  SPRING is here!  Look!  I've got Popcorn popping on the ... cherry tree?  OK.  It's not quite the song, but still... look!  BLOSSOMS!  Now to get the garden in order.  Sadly, my favorite garden gnome lives in New Mexico... sniff.  The lawn is loving these warmer days.  It could really use a mow.  However, we are still experiencing intermittent rain showers.  I don't care.  I love that I love in a place where things grow... SPONTANEOUSLY.  It's like the garden of Eden... blossom, daffodils  tulips, crocus... soon I will have roses, lilies, and veggies.
 Spring also brings John's birthday.  He is an old man now.  Seriously, I don't know what happened.  He's like a grandpa or something.  tehehehe.  At least I look younger than him.  :)  Anyway, this year Chad and Hannah wanted to make John's birthday cake.  They are such thoughtful children.  It looked so beautiful... all white... and tasty looking.
 Surprise!  This cake explodes.  They made a cake with balloons and covered it with whipped cream.  When John cut into it, the cake exploded all over him.  We all laughed and laughed.  My kids think they are comedians.
 Ben thought this was great fun.  He couldn't wait to eat some.  His birthday was in February and he completely understands the joys of ice cream and cake.  He didn't quite understand a balloon cake.  He really wanted to eat some.
 Eventually, we gave him a handful of whipped cream.  This made him happy.  The rest of us ate berries with our cream.


Chad went to Canada with his choir.  The purpose for these choir trips is to help the students become a unit.  They also got to have a few classes with music professors in the Vancouver BC area.  I wasn't sure how well Chad would do travelling.  He has a fairly interesting diet that DOES NOT include eating out.  He also like to exercise 2-3 hours a day.  When I saw the agenda, I was worried.  I even sent a message to the teacher apologizing in advance .. is was a joke... or was it?  :)
 Chad made sure he was on the "quiet" bus.  He liked to listen to his tunes and sleep.  He often had to be convinced to get off the bus and explore with the others.  Thankfully, he has a few good friends he likes to hang out with.  They got him to do at least a couple of things.  They visited some rope swing thing.  It's a good thing kids I know on Facebook take pictures.  I stole a bunch.  I know he's not in some of these pictures, but at least there is a record of the stuff he did and saw.
He had this one funny story of sitting in a Burger King with a few others and this crazy man came in and talked to Sai.  No one really knew what he was talking about.  The crazy man went up to the counter and ask the lady even more crazy things and then left.  When he was gone, they all died laughing.  Chad didn't eat at Burger King.  He actually packed every calorie he ate.  It was not uncommon to see Chad walking down the street eating a can of re-fried beans.  Yes.  He packed  a can opener and a spoon too. (after 5 days of mainly beans as his diet staple he was relieved to be home so he could pass gas.  Thanks a lot!)
 Chad said he wasn't really interested in shopping like many of the other people were.  He eventually convinced some kids to do some fun stuff for free.  They went down to the water front and explored.  They saw a cool guy slicing up fish and feeding the left overs to some sea otters.  They saw a guy doing a magic show.  And of course, they saw cool ocean stuff... rocks, waves, sticks, and other cool things boys like.
 He liked the classes with the professors.  They liked the bass section.  Chad was even singled out as being the rock of the bass section.  Not bad son.
 About the only other thing Chad mentioned about Canada was that Canada is fancy.... and expensive.  I remember that from when I went to Canada with my choir...WAY back when and with my grandparents.  I had given him $70 for the trip.  He didn't know why since he was packing all of his food.  But he was glad eventually.  He did get a Jamba Juice... and I think he got a new shirt... but I haven't seen it... and he found some cool new picks for the guitar and uke.





 Meanwhile... I stayed home... by myself... a sort of vacation for mom... because....
 John took Lilli and Hannah on a road trip!  The same day Chad left for Canada, they left for Utah to visit John's family and to watch General Conference live.  I chose to stay home because I had a few meetings.  Besides, I like Conference at home because I can concentration on taking notes.  Besides, I've been to Conference live before.  However, I'm glad that John took the girls and they got to have that fun experience.
 I don't think seeing Conference was the real motivation to go.  The real reason to head off to Utah in a car for 13 or 14 hours was MCKAY and MYLES... at least, I'm pretty sure that is what Lilli thought.  We really miss McKay and wish she lived in Oregon (HINT, HINT HINT Myles - cheesy grin).  When Lilli talked to me on the phone, McKay was all she talked about.





 John was happy to visit his family.  He doesn't get to visit with them much.  Although, he was sad that he missed a few sessions of conference due to his familiy's activities for the day, he was glad that he could spend a little time with his parents.  His sister, MaryJane and her family also came to visit.  They are looking to move there, so they spent some time house hunting.  John's sister Lisa brought over a few family members, as did his brother Mark.
Lilli learned to pump gas.


The trip was fun, but I got many text messages that they were in Oregon.  I think they were super glad to be home.  Although, I loved my stay-cation, I loved having them all home... even if they are loud... and messy.

The best part of my stay-cation was that I got lots of one-on-one time with the cutest little button ever!  I got to spend time with Kimber.  We went to dinner and to a movie.  I got to listen to Conference un-interrupted. My house got a deep clean and I finally caught up on laundry.  I was able to have a great meeting with my costumer for my next show.  I went to lunch with a friend.  And I could sleep in silence!  I even wrote a blog about it.
The Sound of Silence
 For the last couple of weeks I've been helping at the high school in the Tech theater class.  Their teacher assigned them scripts to read and explained the basics set design, and assigned them to make a model of the set.  I came in and helped anyone that asked for help.  I explained floor plans and elevations and using stock.
 Some kids took it more seriously than others.  Hannah is on that really gives her school assignments her very best.  The other kids like to accuse her of being an over achiever.  She confidently replies that she is only doing what is asked and expected.  Well... I know I'm her mom... and I know that it might even look like I did it for her... but Hannah KICKED BUTT!  The assignment was due today and Hannah was one of 4 students to turn in their model.  She designed Noises Off.  Although there are things she would change now, she turned in a great design.  It's usable.  She paid attention to detail.  She does have a future in this theater gig.



 The kids in Tech class are helping me make an other set for my friend Robert.  (I will post that later... when it's finished).  Meanwhile, I try to teach them something new with each set piece we build.  This set I taught them how to spackle.  For a week, I warned them that we were going to paint and that this time would be messy.  Few came prepared... thus they didn't try, or they got paint on their clothes and pouted.  Hello!  I warned you.  Here is the problem... they want a REAL drama class.  Hate to tell you this... Tech is REAL drama.  The district isn't likely to give an acting class when what is offered isn't appreciated.  Besides, the district was hoping that the kids were going to be able take over "running" the theater, effectively making my help unnecessary.
 I hate to break it to the district... this is what these students think of learning tech theater.  They know enough to break things and to get into trouble... and that is all.  The only student who is able to use the light board or the sound board is Hannah... and she learned it because she has been following me around for years.
 These flats were knocked over by a clumsy student... go thing flats float.  No worries... nothing is broken.

Meanwhile, Chad's choir sang at a competition and qualified for State choir competition. They are pretty excited and it looks like their trip to Canada paid off.
 In other big news... Charlie got a hair cut.  Kimber is a saint, and did the dirt deed for me.  Even Ray helped out.  Charlie is too heavy for me to hold up and Kimber couldn't clip him when he sat down.  I bought a new clipper for the occasion and it died before the end of the hair cut.  Kimber had to finish with a comb and scissors.  LOL.  I think he likes it.  He seems happier.  Meanwhile, our socks, clothes, vacuum  they are all relieved with the reduced amount of hair all over the floor.



 April 12 is Lilli's 10th birthday.  I was originally going to have her party a surprise.  I invited a bunch of her firends, and I was pleasantly surprised that they all said they would come. (I'm not good a parties and people raely show up).  I had a docotor's appointment and had to go shopping for personal pizza stuff.  When I got home I found an agenda on my desk.  It read, "1.) Once everyone get's hear we play a game. 2. After we play a game eat dinner if dinner isent ready play another game 3 after dinner we eat cake 4 after cake we open presents 5 after presents we play with presents 6 after we play with presents we watch a movie (emperurs new groove) 7 after we watch a movie we wait until our parents get hear and then we leave and go to sleep."  Thank goodness I had a plan to follow.  LOL.

We had an ice cream cake... per her request.



Hannah has moved into the role of "Party Assistant".  Originally, it was Kimber's job.  Then McKay was given the mantle.  Now that they are old married ladies, Hannah has been handed the baton.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …