Friday, June 7, 2013

Summer Book of Mormon Challenge - Day 2

Today's reading is 1 Nephi 4-6 or pages 7-12.

The most important message I get out of these chapters is that the scriptures should hold great value for us.  

The value of scriptures is demonstrated as several lives are “on the line” for the Plates of Brass. The Lord sent Lehi’s sons through the wilderness, back to Jerusalem, to get "scriptures" (1 Nephi 3:3,19-20; 4:14-17; 5:10-17). This was a dangerous job.  The scriptures were so important that a man had to lose his head so that a nation could be saved (1 Nephi 4:13). The scriptures were so important that the son's of Lehi gave all their worldly possessions to obtain them (1 Nephi 3:22-26).  

The first thing that Lehi did after his sons returned with the scriptures and giving thanks to the Lord (1 Nephi 5:9) was to “search them from the beginning” (1 Nephi 5:10). "Let us be faithful" and "let us be strong" as we diligently SEARCH the scriptures.  After which “he was filled with the Spirit, and began to prophesy” (1 Nephi 5:17).

"Wherefore can ye doubt" when you read the scriptures?   We too are “filled with the Spirit” as we SEARCH the scriptures. I experience this “Scripture Power” each time that I exercise a particle of faith and make time to study God’s holy word. 

I "know of a surety" that the Book of Mormon is true.  I know that it contains the testimonies of "holy prophets."  I know that the scriptures contain a history of God's dealing with His people. I know that a study of the scriptures and fills me soul with the Spirit of the Lord.

Like Lehi, I have also “found that they [are] desirable; yea, even of great worth” in my life (1 Nephi 5:21). Like Nephi testifies, I also bear witness that “it was wisdom in the Lord that we should carry them with us” as we journey towards our Promised Land (1 Nephi 5:22).

My favorite lesson is that studying the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, is "pleasing unto God" and will "persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham..."

Please read the Book of Mormon this summer.  I can think of nothing else could change your summer or be rewarding or be more relaxing than gaining a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true and that Jesus is the Christ.  Now that is relaxing; that is vacation!


No comments:

Post a Comment