Skip to main content

Week at the Boyacks

 Well... we survived the third week of CET.  It's actually been better than survive, even if I am completely exhausted.  This week I basically finished all my sets... although I have some banners to make for the Gala in 2 weeks.  My stage manager class is coming along.  There are only 3 kids in the class.  It is hard to split up 4 shows with 3 kids. LOL.  This past week we talked about effective communication.  Sadly, it didn't sink in.  A director came to my complaining that the kid assigned to his show has issues with following directions, sighs and rolls his eyes when he is ask for something specifically, and actually interrupted a rehearsal yelling, "cut! Cut!  You missed a light cue," followed by arguing with the director over which script was right.  Gah!  This is the same kid that when I told the director who was her stage manger she cried.  I should have taken that as a sign.  Live and learn.

My lighting class is learning good stuff.  We've talked about different instruments, color, McCandles theory, and made homemade gobos.  They still like playing with follow spots the best though.

In my painting class I've taught them to pain smooth first coats, brick work with sponges, 2 different wet mix techniques, and a feather technique for texture.  They've actually painted pieces of the set.  Seriously, I've got some kids that have got some talent... and some that don't.  LOL.
 We actually had tons of painting to work on... nearly everything I designed is double sided...
 ... and some painting was more or less like cartooning...


 On project did not go as planned.  it looked horible!  Hannah to the rescue!  I brought Hannah to CET one day and turned her loose while I taught class.  She took this...
 ... actually used a ruler and the original drawing...
 ... and saved the day!

 I believe I am done now because I've got 30+ kids in the tech program and They all contribute to the work.
 My staff is great too!  I love these guys!  They are fun.  They work hard.  They follow directions.  They volunteer when not asked.  They definitely bless my life.
 Because we are so far ahead with sets and props we didn't have any projects for the tech kids to do during our double day.  On double day we have all the tech kids for 3 hours instead of 1.  We had them work at clean up for one hour and then we needed to come up with something fun so that we didn't have a revolt.  I so a funny game idea on Pintrest and gave it a try... Angry birds Live.  We stacked all the old cardboard boxes up and put large balls in the wall.  Then we gave the kids small birds to throw.  I can now say we are the favorite teachers at CET.  LOL.  I bet I get 30 more kids in tech next year!  LOL.  I have the same problem this coming week... what to do with kids that aren't needed in rehearsal.  hmmmm... Guess I'd better start surfing Pintrest again.  :)
 
 We even had a contest to see who could make the coolest "bird" face on their little ball.  I'm telling you... I'm a little nuts.
 Rehearsal for Secret Garden is coming along...  I still have a revolving door of people coming and going.  Sure makes it hard to block and to practice.  And it also looks like many of them don't look at their scripts outside of rehearsal!  Gah!  There is too much to do to not practice.  Each time we run the music we have to start over.    I sure hope this next week goes a bit more smoothly.  In addition, my Assistant Director is my boss at CET.  When we proposed the show we thought it would help me get in... it did, but he is so busy with CET that he doesn't have time to help me.  I sure hope God has mercy on me and this show makes it... I should be thankful that my CET sets are done so I can now go to more Secret Garden rehearsals.  I guess He is granting me some of His mercy!

 My costumer has started bringing in costumes.  They look great!  These are the two servants from India and 3 of my dancing spirit guides.  I love them!
 Friday was dress up day at CET.  Lillian dress was a sea creature... She was cold most of the day so she wore her blanket all around CET.  Silly girl.
 Saturday was the softball rewards for Lillian's softball team.  They lost their game on Thursday, so they did not advance to the finals.  They were all pretty sad, but they all lived.  :)  Sports has bitten Lilli.  She now wants to do it all... volleyball, cheer leading, basketball, and more softball... not to mention more dance, swim lessons, and plays.  Hello!  I can't keep up!  We may need to curve the interests a bit.

 I also took the girls to see Cats! at Broadway Rose in Tigard.  We also took my friend Megan for her birthday.  It was ok.  Some of my favorite characters were ruined by this interpretation.  Some characters did a fair job.  I think the best part was watching Lillian sitting at the edge of her seat, wide eyed, riveted to the play.  Of course, it could have been because the lady in front of her was too tall for Lillian to see over.
Speaking of cats... Lillian has been asked to babysit a Siamese cat for a month for one of my voice students.  Most people at our house are not very supportive.  This cat shouldn't go outside because we don't want to loose her.  Well... while we were out watching Cats, the boys at home left the door open the the cat slipped out.  Lillian was devastated when she got home. (She's been feeling less than supported lately).  She cried.  I tried to help her look for the cat.  Finally, we convinced her to say a prayer.  In the morning... no cat.  She cried again.  This time, John felt guilty and offered to say a prayer with her too.  I felt like I should wander over by the chickens since the cat likes to sit in Chad's window looking at the chickens.  Lillian followed me out.  We were chatting about where the cat could have gone.  John was posting on Facebook that the cat was missing.  Missy was circling and sniffing the air.  Lillian was sure that the cat was there if Missy could smell it.  She started to call the cat and we heard a small "meow".  Lillian screamed with delight.  But we couldn't see the cat.  Finally, Lillian looked up.  There was the cat... on the ROOF!  See Lillian.  Heavenly Father answers prayers... and family members are now more careful about leaving doors open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …